New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Primer and powder for S&W 40cal
 Login/Join

Picture of M&Pguy40cal
posted
Hi I am new to reloading and would liek to know what teh experts suggest I use to reload for my 40 caliber S&W M&P. I have purchased ranier 155 bullets to reload with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't tell the difference between any of the small pistol primers. They all work.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like Unique.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are nearly as many loads as there are people who will suggest a load. Best to buy a reloading manual and study up. www.ammoguide.com lists 11 loads for .40S&W using 155-grain Rainiers. All but one use VitaV powders; the lone exception is an Accurate Arms powder. So now you know which powder brand to buy. I can't give you the load here because I think the info on the site is copyrighted and they discourage publicizing the info for liability reasons. But hey, a scrip is just $18 a year for so, so much info and neato ballistic and cost tools that eighteen bucks is cheap...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I'm liking Power Pistol in my Sig 40's with 155 and 180 grain bullets. You can get some great performance out of that powder with great accuracy and clean burning.

Work up the load that works the best in your shooter.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot the 155gr, but the best powder for accuracy in my finicky 40s is WSF under 165gr & 180gr jacketed, plated or lead. Unique is a very close 2nd, but these are for midrange to full power loads. Those that load bunnyfarts may have something that works better for them. Also, any std small primer will do.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only loaded about 1000 rounds so far for the 40s&w.I use regular primers not mag primers and I have only used unique and bullseye.I have loaded 155gr and 180gr bullets so far.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is an excellent question as I plan on reloading for my .40 soon, once I obtain the dies and shell retainers.

Has anyone tried Hodgdon's Longshot in the .40 S&W? I have a pound of it in my powder storage vault and am curious on how well it performs in the field in said caliber...

Posts: 39 | Location: Lynden, Washington | Registered: 27 December 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of M&Pguy40cal
posted Hide Post
Folks, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate the input. Now I have to find someplace that has primers. I can't believe how many places say "out of stock". Powder should be easier to obtain.
Once again thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TiteGroup seems to afford more rounds per pound of powder than most others. Shoots well. Cost effective. As far as accuracy is concerned, I am not one to give advice.

Fishin' Magician

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crashbox:
This is an excellent question as I plan on reloading for my .40 soon, once I obtain the dies and shell retainers.

Has anyone tried Hodgdon's Longshot in the .40 S&W? I have a pound of it in my powder storage vault and am curious on how well it performs in the field in said caliber...

I bought some Longshot to try but have not loaded any yet. I have loaded some HS-6 with good results as a midrange load using 165 grain bullets. Have not loaded any max loads yet.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fishin' Magician:
TiteGroup seems to afford more rounds per pound of powder than most others. Shoots well. Cost effective. As far as accuracy is concerned, I am not one to give advice.

Fishin' Magician

JNO, but powder ia the cheapest part of a pistol handload. I coose a powder for performance & TG is only useful in such high pressure rounds as light target loadings. rying to laod to factory specs w/ TG is like playing w/ a bomb, very narrow laod range w/ spiey pressures near the top end. Choose a powder that fills the case better & delivers the vel level you want w/ the lowest pressure available. That would certainly not be TG or sim powders.
BTW, Longshot works qquite well in the 40 but for midrange to max loads, not light target loads.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iam using green dot in my 40S@W found it to be the best for my 175 gr cast load. good vel many charges per pound. Good price.

And can be use in many differant calibers if need be.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sirs
I´m IPSC shooter and am using a STI 40 S&W in Standard class.
I have the opportunity of purchasing Hodgon Clays powder , that was being using years ago in IPSC competitors.
Do anyone have some experience in loading 40 S&W with that powder .
I`m using 190 gs bullets and have to get major factor that is 900 fps minimun.
Thank you all in advance

Posts: 66 | Location: Montevideo,URUGUAY | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote