New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ackley questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got my 22-250AI back from my gunsmith last weekend and now I have some questions. I have about 100 rounds loaded up with 38 grains of Varget behind 50 gr Hornady V-Max bullets. I'm sure these will fireform just fine but I'm wondering how I should load up my next few hundred rounds now that it is Improved. I guess what I'm asking is, can I load them to AI loads in unfireformed casings without any issues or should I just load them to 22-250 max loads until fireformed and them work up from there?

Also, a buddy of mine has a 6mm-06AI that he was splitting necks with. He gave it to me to see if I could get it figured out. The neck was reamed to .279 and loaded rounds are at .272 to .273. I didn't think that was too excessive. He gave me 200 casings to try, but they were all once fired 25-06 cases. I'm assuming that is the problem. I sized them all and annealed the necks. I've heard of using a few grains of Bullseye powder with a small wad of paper in the neck to fireform cases. I have a pound of Bullseye that I would like to burn up and I figured this would be a good way to do it. I'd rather go this route to fireform instead of loading them because now it's my dollar instead of his. How many grains of Bullseye should I use to fireform these 6mm-06AI cases?

Thanks in advance for any advise and sorry about the rambling.

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in my 22-250AI i just load a stout load for a 22-250 ,you will be suprised at how accurate they can be when fireforming.the AI loads i have tried won't fit in a regular case.as for the 6mm-08 can't help you but i think you did the right thing by annealing them but don't know how much bullseye to use.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Here is a good article on fireforming w/o bullets: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1221/fireform.htm
I've used this method to make 404jeffery brass from 375RUM brass. I am going to try w/ 243 brass to 260AI to see how it works. I like CofW vs corn meal & use poly fiber fill over the powder, & a few drops of candle wax to seal the qhole thing.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Working up a load for an AI shouold really be no different than other loads aa you need to read the usual pressure signs. Starting @ max listed loads for the standard version sometimes works with my 257 AI but it depends on the manual..

A chronograph can help a lot in working up an AI load as velocities will begin to spike @ max loads and then you back off a couple gns. It also helps a lot to have a good idea of what velocity you should be able to achieve and then youll know when your in the ballpark. You just need to be aware that not all rifles will be capable of achiving average velocities at average pressures, and as I said watch closley for the usual pressure signs.

Hmmm,

Just re-read your post. DONOT load to AI capacities while fireforming!! You want a good firm load, but not a hot one.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's help. I tried the Bullseye and C of W trick with the 6mm-06AI last night. Works out perfectly. I found 13 gr will just fireform the cases. I got 115 more to do this afternoon. As for the 22-250AI, I loaded 50 gr VMax's with 39-41.5 gr of H414. 41.5 gr is the max load for 22-250 in my Lyman book. I want to find an accurate load to fireform on PD's next year. Thanks again.

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
My best luck forming my 244 AI 40 degree shoulder cases is a middle of the road load,too low doesnt fill out the shoulder well,and too hot will cause about 50% case failure,usually split necks or shoulder.About max for the standard 6mm usually is good,but sometimes is a little too hot.I get fantastic accuracy when fireforming,so I loaded all my unformed cases (350 +)with my load,and have been shooting them for a few years now.When i get them all formed I will work up a load for them.
Past expirence with this gun shows about 5 grains more powder than the standard chambering will take.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote