New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.82 Lazzeroni Patriot
 Login/Join

<Sniper>
posted
I have been looking at this round and it looks promising. I was wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of it and your thoughts of the Lazzeroni line in general.

www.lazzeroni.com

<dcjs>
posted
hi sniper,
I have HEARD (but from a trustworthy source) that the lazzeroni brass is crappy.
anyway, what's the difference between the patriot and the .300WSM?

regards,

david

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7.82 Patriot is based on a head size more similar to that of the .416 Rigby, approximately 0.580". The .300 WSM head is approximately 0.500". I have no personal experience with either, but a gentleman at my gun club has a Patriot and reports performance on par with the .300 WBY.

I think that Lazzeroni brass is manufactured by MAST(BeLL), which I find to excellent brass for my .416 Rigby. But Lazzeroni may have different manufacturing specs for their proprietary brass.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the Lazzeroni Patriot and a Lazzeroni 9.53 HellCat...a .375 based on the Patriot case. The are both extremely accurate. With respect to the brass I don't where you heard it was crappy, but the brass I have is superb. There were no burrs do take out of the flash hole and the primer pockets flat and square ...all you need to do is lube and size. I had to fire-form my .375 brass and in fire-forming 120 pieces of brass I didn't lose a one. When I reload I just bump the shoulder back enough for reliable feeding and I anneal my brass after 5 firings. A test lot of my brass has been fired 20+ times (anneals 4x) and they still work fine. The first thing you notice, other than how short the brass is, is that it's so heavy.

As an aside, my 9.53 HellCat, with scope, weighs just a bit more than 8 pounds. The 23" barrel easily produces 2550 fps with the 300gr Nosler Partition and felt recoil seems less than most 9 to 9 1/2 pound .375 H&H firing the 2475 fps factory loads. I call her my "African Queen".

With respect to a comparison between the .300WSM and the Lazzeroni Patriot, I think the WSM will lag, with the 180gr bullet, at least 100 fps and more than likely 150 fps. This is the equivalent of 250 ftlbs of energy or about 5%...not a bid deal.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper .... if you go to the Lazzeroni web-page and click on "customer results", that's me with the leopard, buffalo and sable....the proof is in the pudding.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
Awesome!

I was thinking of getting a T/C Encore with the first barrel being the 7.82 Patriot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper....some things to consider. The brass is basically $2 each and the reloading dies are, I believe, $99 now this isn't bad as I said the brass can last almost forever but I don't know if I would have had mine made if the .300WSM were available at the time...as I said I don't know if the extra 100 to 150 fps would be worth the extra cost.
Having said that, I would trade mine for a .300wsm.

<Sniper>
posted
Thanks for the advice. They are close ballistically and the WSM is definitely cheaper to shoot.

What do you think about the 7.21 Firebird? That was going to be my next choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sniper....had a typo in the last post ...should have said "Would NOT trade mine for the WSM".

As I recall the FireBird is on the long case and you could not run fast enough to give me one of those...way too much powder for what you get unless you are willing to use a 28" or 30" barrel. I think barrels would have a fairly short accurate life. If you look at the ballistics I think the short Tomahawk only gives up a few 100 fps to the Firebird and uses a shorter barrel to get it. The only kind of rifle I would see for the Firebird would be for a "Bean Field" rifle where I could sit on a clear-cut area in a blind or tower with a 12 or 14 lb rifle with a big scope...this rifle would only be shot once or twice a year....once to verify zero and then a game. Not my style of hunting but if I lived in Texas and had a good deer lease?

<Sniper>
posted
I ordered a 7.82 Patriot from virgin valley guns yesterday.

27" Stainless Shilen Barrel

Sporter Contour .750"

Fluted

1/10 Twist

Matte finish

Can't wait to get it and put it all together. Thanks for the input!