New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Performance .44 loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just purchased a S&W629- 3" 150year anniversary model with a ported barrel (my bear insurance). The load data that come with the Cast Performance Bullet 300gr WFNGC bullets list 19.5gr W296 as a starting load. What sort of velocity should I expect to get(yes I know every gun is different, but give me a ball-park figure)? I have a cronograph and will use it, but would like to know what to expect. Also, what sort of recoil should I expect with these loads with the ported barrel? Is there a percentage one can expect the recoil to be reduced by?

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
should give you somewhere in the vacinity of 1200 fps. If you want to go lighter id switch to something like aa9 or 2400 hs7 ect. Cast performance makes good bullets and Kelly Brost the owner is a hell of a nice guy.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pharmpoke,
I shoot the Lyman 429650 (310-320 grains) in my Ruger Super Redhawk with a 9.5� barrel using 19.5 grains of H-110 (same or similar to 296) and I am getting 1258 fps. This load is at are near maximum depending on reloading manual used. You might get 1200 fps but I sort of doubt it. Recoil on the HEAVY �scoped Redhawk with this load is VERY noticeable. Twenty or so rounds from my shooting bench will cause slight discomfort to my shooting hand, NOT unbearable but VERY noticeable. I suspect if that S&W is a 3� barrel (?), you will be quite aware, when you drop the hammer, that the primer did its job igniting the 296 powder! Good-luck�BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just back from the range. The full-tilt loads do get one's attention, and I wouldn't want to shoot more than 20 or so rounds at a time, but I must admit recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I also loaded up some 240gr lead with some bullseye and they were quite pleasant. The wind was blowing so hard I didn't try setting up the chronograph, but that'll be for the next trip. Whatever velocity I get with the 300gr & W296 it should be plenty. Thanks for the info. Now it's back to the bench.

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote