New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the Story on RWS Brass?
 Login/Join

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Is RWS still in business? I love their brass, but I can't find it anywhere.

I've been using Norma brass to replace the RWS in my 404 and can truely say that I am way less than impressed. The cases are rough and the rims don't all fit the shell holders.

What's the story on Bertram brass? I see that they make make the 404. Anybody had any luck with Bell? So far I've only heard bad things about Bell Brass.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The word was RWS quit making 404 brass a couple of years ago. I'm sure it is in business and will continue. Whether they export to us is another story. They did have an office in Connecticut and a few years ago they had several dealers, among them gunsmith Bill Tooley, and Huntington's. Contacting either of them, or trying to reach the importer would answer all questions on availability.

I no longer have a need for 404 brass. When I did, Norma was not available. RWS was by far the class of that brass. Bell brass was pure junk as was Bertram. Very uneven walls and necks a great disparity in weight. Neck splits in less that 5 firings whether you annealed or not. You wouldn't even want to pay the postage on the Bell brass I still have.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
GAHunter,
I buy RWS brass for my 9.3x64 directly from a sporting goods store in Munich. I send a check to a Colorado address and the owner of the shop in Germany airmails the brass to me. Cobalt

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER,

The best way to get RWS for US citizen is to act like Cobalt, order and pay a gun dealer in Germany.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
Guys,

I finally found a web site for RWS and e-mailed them. Found out that they do not make the 404 Jeffery any more but they still export other calibers and sell them through Old Western Scrounger.

Bad news for us 404 types but good news for the rest of you.

I also found out that Westley Richards is importing loaded 404 Jeffery ammo again from Germany. Don't know who makes it but I undestand that it is of a pretty high quality. It would be about $120 for 20. I might buy some just for the brass if it's any good.

Anyone had any experience with the Westley Richards imported ammo?

<awtc>
posted
GAHUNTER

ASK MR. ATKINSON WHO FREQUENTS THESE FORUMS ESP. "BIGBORE". HE IS A 404 AFFICIONADO! [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a fair supply of RWS brass, Norma brass and Bell brass....Bertram brass is really bad stuff imo......

Actually the Bell, now Mast Tech. INc. is very good 404 brass and I get along well with Norma brass.....I get my brass from Huntingtons...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
HI

I spoke to my gundealer. He bought a hughe supply of the last RWS 404 cases. If someone is in serious need let me know if there is anything I can do. I have not price yet.

It's time to start work on RWS soo they bring the 404 in production again [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

404 shooter's I know claims that the newer batches from Norma is better than the first runns.

I'm quite sure that is Rommey in Germany that makes the ammo for WR.

/ JOHAN

[ 07-18-2002, 08:10: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER, Sorry to hear RWS has discontinued your 404 brass. The bad new for the rest of us is that the RWS brass still available from Old Western Scrounger is VERY expensive... (www.ows-ammunition.com)

Cobalt, If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious about the details of how you get your RWS brass? I've been disappointed w/ the Hirtenberger brass for my 6X50R Bellm (based on 5.6X50R brass) and would be interested in trying some RWS. Unfortunately, it's >$1/piece from OWS. [Frown] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought Bell brass for 43 Mauser. It's very good quality IMO. Steered away from Bertram, heard the quality wasn't all that great. You might try Buffalo Arms in Idaho. They have brass for all kinds of off the wall cartridges.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<bongo500>
posted
Gahunter, Westley/R is probably buying ammo from Wolfgang Romei(dont waist your money) who uses Horneber brass.
You can get Horneber brass from DHorneber@aol.com.
He is making some 404 basic brass for me right now which I need to make the 450 Cambaco.

For the 404 I use Norma brass and can recomend it. For my 9,3x70 also. Norma is owned by RWS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER:
I purchased a couple of 5RD. boxes of W.R.ammo in 416 Rigby a couple of years ago. 1 box of solids and 1 of soft points.I had 2 primer failures one in each box!!! I was shocked to say the least. Both boxes were maufactured in Germany and the brass was quite ruff.The velocity for both was right at 2400fps from my Ruger.

Paul K

Posts: 758 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Gary T,
Try Stefan at stefan.bader454@web.de

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Cobalt,

Try Stefan at stefan.bader454@web.de
[/QUOTE]

I can add he is a great guy, price are not expensive.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt and BER007, Thanks for the help. [Smile] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bongo500: Norma is owned by RWS.[/QB]
Not quite, but almost [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . NORMA and RWS are owned by Dynamite Nobel. They bellong to the same corporation. Norma makes some components for RWS.

Does someone has any websites about these custm brass makes in Germany and USA ? Would love to check it out.

Cheers
/ JOHAN