New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Case Trimmers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would someone be able to post me apic. of this lee and drill combo ??

Regards PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a new small batery powered drill right now. I have worn two drills out and the lee sizer system still works good. I like to size, trim deburr then while the case is in the base, I spin it and polish off the sizing lube with a paper towel. Paper towles are slightly abrasive and realy cleans up spinning brass and will take any smoke off the neck that made it past the tumbler. I have been using one cuter for several years. One of these post gave me a good Idea. Having several cutting bases makes sence. The hardest thin to do is change out the guage inserts on the cutter. MidwayUSA has all the parts.

Posts: 21 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagree with Atkinson re. case trimmers...he has a point
that perhaps the trimming is maybe not significant...but that's hard to judge by itself. I've done gunsmithing & the best gunsmiths I know say the same thing...precision=
accuracy, no matter what it is in rifles...including case trimming..the Gracey Case Trimmer was designed by Doyle
Gracey, a benchrest fellow of excellent reputation..and a
good machinest...case necks have a good effect on accuracy,
ask the pros who make case crimp dies to get good consistent
case neck tension, ask Hornadt who says even case neck annealing has importance since it makes consistent case neck tension...so how important is exact trimming of case necks? I'd say quite a bit of importance...and a good trimmer would make a difference. Of course those Idaho guys in the back woods don't have the acumen we Cody,Wyoming guys do with the great shooting complex, the
experts at Ballard Rifle Company, Rocky Mountain Cartridge
Company, Buffalo Bill Historical Center...etc. I guess if
you shoot .30-.30s in the Idaho backwoods, you can file to
length your cartridges for short range at Mule Deer...but
try it with your goods at the Cody Shooting Complex with your trimmed c'tridges/...against some real marksmen.
In all due respect, you're all wet on this subject.
Precison = accuracy. No matter how you cut it. And your
baloney is baloney no matter how you cut it. Its a polite
western way of saying it.

Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We do go shoot at the Cody Shooting Complex. We go there when the sheep drive goes through town. We can then shoot for three solid days by ourselves because the locals are all out helping move the sheep along. My girlfriend always says: "This is such a nice range; "How come the only people who use it are from Idaho and Montana?"
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have the Lee and Forester trimmers and I like the Lee setup much better. Easier on the user and produces more consistent cases. Only thing with the Lee that bugs me is that it would seem to be more user friendly by chucking the cutter and pilot in the drill instead of the shellholder. I haven't tried to chuck the cutter yet but it might fit in a 1/2" drill??

Dont use a drill..get the Lee Zip Trim. I have one and love it. When used in conjunction with the caliber specific pilots/cutter it cant be beat for speed and accuracy. I can trim,debur, and chamfer a case in 20 seconds. It has made my case prep so much easier and faster.

Posts: 11 | Location: Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've done gunsmithing & the best gunsmiths I know say the same thing...precision=
accuracy, no matter what it is in rifles...including case trimming..the Gracey Case Trimmer was designed by Doyle
Gracey, a benchrest fellow of excellent reputation..and a
good machinest...case necks have a good effect on accuracy,
ask the pros who make case crimp dies to get good consistent
case neck tension, ask Hornadt who says even case neck annealing has importance since it makes consistent case neck tension...so how important is exact trimming of case necks? I'd say quite a bit of importance...and a good trimmer would make a difference. Of course those Idaho guys in the back woods don't have the acumen we Cody,Wyoming guys do with the great shooting complex, the
experts at Ballard Rifle Company, Rocky Mountain Cartridge
Company, Buffalo Bill Historical Center...etc. I guess if
you shoot .30-.30s in the Idaho backwoods, you can file to
length your cartridges for short range at Mule Deer...but
try it with your goods at the Cody Shooting Complex with your trimmed c'tridges/...against some real marksmen.
In all due respect, you're all wet on this subject.
Precison = accuracy. No matter how you cut it. And your
baloney is baloney no matter how you cut it. Its a polite
western way of saying it.

So tell us golden tongue.....what case trimmer do you use?

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Forster, if I want to fool around.

Lee is the way to go! If you need something special, special order it from them ( longer / shorter, special case ( 9.3x62 ) just call them! )

Lee case trimming and priming accessories are the best! Also the factory crimp die! Get one for every caliber you have ( or might buy ;-))

I like RCBS and would probably buy Redding or Forster BR dies, depending on the application. I believe in " You get what you pay for".

Lee is an exception: with certain products its unique!

Like their foolproofness!

Hermann

Wish they would me send a catalog occasionally :-(

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS X dies, and forget about using your trimmer............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm cheap ... but have something of a machine shop.

So I bought a Lyman drill press trimmer and mount it in the table vise of a full sized milling machine which is fitted with a three axis DRO.

The Lyman universal head seems to work fine with everything up to and including the .470 Nitro Express. Am pretty tickled with the way it works ... but it may just be the "over kill"of case trimmers

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote