Find
Notify
Tools

H322 batch Numbers and Burn Difference
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Two questions:

1. Can someone confirm that I am reading the batch numbers correctly on H322 powder Batch No: 1 0214003607 Is this powder from 02/14/2000?

2. Have another Batch 1 0610993549. This older batch (presumably from June 10, 1999) seems to be hotter as pressure signs started showning up and accuracy dropped significantly. Has anyone seen this situation with H322.

Looks like I need an 8# keg instead of fooling with those darn 1# cans.

Thanks,
Ron

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've seen the same thing. 8# cans, or multiple singles from the same batch are one answer. It's not just H322 either: I've had the same troubles with N133 and Tac. I need to build a powder shack..... LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found a partial answer to my own question:

The date is indeed imbedded in the batch code as noted in my first post. The date represents the day Hodgdon loaded a particular batch into the jugs. The last 4 digits are the actual batch number as manufactured.

Hodgdon indicated that there are differences in powder but could not quantify how much difference. The powder still meets their specs.
Ron

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyDevil:
Two questions:

This older batch (presumably from June 10, 1999) seems to be hotter as pressure signs started showning up and accuracy dropped significantly. Has anyone seen this situation with H322.

Looks like I need an 8# keg instead of fooling with those darn 1# cans.

Thanks,
Ron

No lesser a personage than Walt Berger of Berger Bullets warned me of this problem with H322 stating that I should get a whole stack of H322 of the same lot number if I got a good load with it as it varied significantly from lot to lot.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm learning the hard way by trial and may errors. Thanks for the comment from Mr. Berger.
Ron