Find
Notify
Tools

Any luck with Triple Shox?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
What have been your results with these bullets thus far? I reloaded for a buddie's 375 RUM and with 99 gr of IMR 7828 (NOT a max load) we got 2915 fps amd close to 1/2" MOA all day! This is a stock Rem 700 BDL.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I devoted effort and time to developing loads for 30-378's (4 different rifles) and a 338-378 Weatherby. In the end, the Barnes Triple Shocks (TSX) provided the best overall performance ie accuracy, velocity. The loads for the 30-378 using 168 grain TSX, Retumbo, Federal Match 215 primers delivered sub MOA (out to extreme range) at a nominal 3500 fps. The 338-378, using 4831sc, same primer also sub MOA (out to extreme range) at nomial 3460 fps with 185 grain TSX.

Developed a load with a buddy for 308 winchester using 150 grain TSX also sub MOA.

Based upon what I have experienced, up to this point in time, the TSX have been the most accurate premium hunting bullet we have used. The fouling also seems to be less noticeable than with standard X bullet. From now on I will start with the Barnes TSX's before I try another bullet!

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP which of the TS's are you shooting in your 375? Weight I mean, I've been thinking about giving them a run in my 375 Wby. It's on a M70 with a Schneider tube and it is scarry how accurate this darn thing is. Minute of chuck for sure...grins.

Thx for your time

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Sorry... 270 grain

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What have been your results with these bullets thus far?

I have shot a total of 5 animals with the triple shocks - 3 >100 lb Alabama whitetails and 2 wild pigs, one a boar about 200lbs, and one a sow about 135lbs.

All 5 of these animals were shot with 168g XXX .30 caliber bullets out of my 300WSM (since sold). I was getting close to 2900fps, but don't have the load handy (I'm at work, playing hooky). None of them went more than 5 yards from where they were hit.

I'm impressed with these bullets. They are accurate and lethal. I've gotten much better groups with them than regular X's or blue meanies. I'm getting 3/4" groups out of the 225g ones in my .338. I'm planning on using it in Zimbabwe next May.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that's what I was guess thx

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Has anyone found that fouling was an issue?

Additionally when you go to the range to test loads, do you have to stick to Barnes only or can you mix loads with conventional bullets too? (Talking about same range session)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, has anyone experimented with moly coating a triple shock?

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken one Mexico Whitetail with 180gr if I remember correctly. Punched a hole about like a solid for the most part. Havent shot over chrono, but its a RL22 load, shoots about 1 moa in my 300 wby.

Its a barnes bullet, its going to foul a barrell at some point in time. Maybe not a quick as an X, but it will still foul, nature of the beast.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP-to date I've shot them in the following cal's and so far no issue with fouling. I've been using them since they came out and think the world of them. Last year me and my better half used them on 2 elk,5 lopes and 2 deer. They all worked just fine and all were one shot very quick kills. Ranges were 50-488 yards.

The cal's I"ve shot them in are as follows.

6/06 (the 85 and 95)
270 ( the 130)
7 Mashburn Super (140 and 160)
06 (the 168)
340 (the 185)
338/300 WSM (185)
280 (the 160)

I was not a fan of the original Barnes bullets but this one is about all I will carry this fall.

Just some thoughts on a rainy cool almost fall day.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx....when you go to the range to test loads, do you have to stick to Barnes only (per session) or can you mix loads with conventional bullets too? (Talking about same range session)

one of us
posted Hide Post
to date I sure have not noticed that I need to, but usually I am working with one kind of a bullet or another. But I have switched it around and seem to notice no big deal.

Good luck

Dogz

"GTTH"

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanx....when you go to the range to test loads, do you have to stick to Barnes only (per session) or can you mix loads with conventional bullets too? (Talking about same range session)

Hey POP, as you are probably quite aware of many of my past posts, I am a huge TSX fan. The following pics were all taken with TSX, 270, 130 grainers on top of Re19.

I didn't post a picture of my coyote, but I shot it on the trot in KY last NOV at 150. Perfect hit and she went down on the spot. Even on the yote's thin skin and small body, the bullet opened up great at about 1.5" from the entrance hole, and turned the rest of the lungs into a big hole. Looked like someone used a cookie cutter to remove a perfect circle of tissue out, very clean and very gaping. The very best hunting bullet I've used so far.

I've mentioned many times about my accuracy with it and the proof is from my field shots and other game. I have no regrets with this bullet whatsoever.

When I go to the range, I use only the triple shocks per session, or it will be the last bullet to test, only because of the potential fouling issue, which by the way, has not been an issue for me at all. I have a Hart barrel on that 270 though. Butches Bore Shine cleaned it just fine, and a bore scope verified it, and Wipe Out comfirmed it.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do they go faster than the regular barnes x?
Where can you get loading data for them?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I never shot the regular X bullet so I cannot say, but according to Barnes, the TSX does in fact shoot faster and you can add up to 1.5 grains higher than standard X. The best thing to do is call Barnes with a specific bullet and caliber and ask what loads worked.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx Doc!

Nice deer BTW!

posted Hide Post
I loaded up some 85 gr. Barnes Triple Shox for a pair of Tikka 243's and WOW! Best groups I've ever fired out of those guns. The quality control on those bullets looks vastly superior to what I've seen before as well.

Did Barnes get different management or something cause these bullets look much better? The hollow points look consistent from bullet to bullet. When you seat the bullets all the loads show the same overall length rather than varying by 10/1000. The bullets are even polished better than the old X bullets.

I couldn't get the old 85gr Barnes XBT to group consistently at all in these guns but boy do they love the 85gr Triple Shock.

Velocities have been significantly higher too, about 150fps faster without pressure signs, than what I was getting with previous X bullets. This is gonna make for a whicked mule deer load.

Posts: 12 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Barnes changed the hollow pt. on the new TSX. My understanding is that it worked so well, it is implemented in all lines of bullets now from them.

one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
Anyone care to share some loading info using the Triple Shox (or ball park recommendations)?

308 Win. 150 grain?

35 Whelen, .350 RMag., or 358 Win. with the 225 grain?

7mm Rem Mag. 140-160 grain?

I use IMR4064 or R-15 in the 308 and the 35's and R-22 in the 7 Mag. I've always been a Nosler Partition fan but I'm not to old to try something new (or better if that's possible).

WN

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sluggo,
What powders are you using to load those 85gr TSX's in your Tikka?
My Whitetail hunter just loves the 85gr TSX with LOT'S of Rl-15. No fouling problems either.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Consider IMR3031 also.

posted Hide Post
Thomas,
I've got the Tikka Whitetail Hunter as well. I've used H4831SC, IMR4831, H414 and H4350 with the 85gr Barnes Triple Shock. I've got RL15 on the shelf but the first time out I had the 4 powders listed loaded up and when I saw the performance, it just wasn't necessary to look any further. They all produced sub 3/4 MOA groups and the first 3 powders listed produced sub 1/3 MOA groups. Sweeeeeettt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sluggo,

I just got a Tikka T3 .243 and loaded up some 85gr. XXX how far off lands and how much powder did you use? I did as they said and started around 50/1000 of and went out from there. I have not shot them yet.

posted Hide Post
Mohunt,
I'm .035 off the lands with an OAL of 2.750". Really no experimentation here. That was just the first thing I tried and it worked so well I didn't change anything. Prior experimentation with the Barnes XBT told me maximum pressure was with 44.7gr H414 so that is what I loaded. This load is 3265fps.

I've got a box of this loaded up as it produced 1/3MOA groups and the highest velocity. This same load with 85gr Barnes XBT only turns in 3100fps with my rifle so I got at least 150fps better velocity out of the Triple Shock.

Anyway, same deal with the other 3 powders I tried, I just loaded up what my records showed to be the maximum load for the 85gr Barnes XBT. All shot in the mid 3200's and didn't show pressure signs so I haven't varied the powder charges at all.

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow with the other powders as I want to be sure I have the charge weights correct.

Now for the disclaimer. This load was only safe in my firearm and I don't warranty it to be safe in anyone elses firearm. I recommend that loads be worked up slowly as detailed in reloading manuals bla, bla, bla....

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Whelan Nut,
I load RL 19 in my 7mm Rem Mag with the 140 tsx. 65.5 gr chrono'd at 3250 with 3/4" 3 shot groups. This is my max load so far with no pressure signs. Go slow and work up to your rifles max.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Do these actually "go faster" like the XLC's suppose to? (Given a load with the regular X's that is)

posted Hide Post
Pop,
I think the TSX does actually go faster or at least it does in my particular case. Previous max load with 85 gr Barnes XBT and now I get an extra 150 fps with the same powder charge and no pressure signs. Compound that with the fact that I saw the same velocity increase with 4 different powders. One caveat, I don't have a strain gauge so I don't know the actual PSI's of the 2 loads.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the response

posted Hide Post
Mohunt,
The other 3 loads were 45.0gr IMR 4831, 47.5gr H4831SC, 44.5gr H4350. The "least accurate" was the H4350 with 3/4MOA groups. The IMR4831 gave me a .21" group. Best group I've ever shot with any gun.

Once again, only safe in my gun, no warranty of safety in anyone elses firearm. Work up loads slowly as instructed in reloading manuals.........

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that the triple shock gave you the best group you've ever had? Better than any Sierra Hunting Bullet? Just curious.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Are you saying that the triple shock gave you the best group you've ever had? Better than any Sierra Hunting Bullet? Just curious.

No doubt in my mind! Too bad they do not hold together like a Gameking does!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

POP, actually my reply was to Slugster but you are also getting real good groups with the old TSX also? Best ever? Then why do so many on the "Is Sierra in denial?" thread not giving the TSX a try you think?

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

POP, actually my reply was to Slugster but you are also getting real good groups with the old TSX also? Best ever? Then why do so many on the "Is Sierra in denial?" thread not giving the TSX a try you think?

Cause like Sierra..they are in denial!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, I just loaded up some more TSX for my 30.06 (168 grain) last night over H4350. Will test them at range tonight or first thing tomorrow. These in addition to the 200 Accubond over Re22, and the 180 Partition over Re22. Strictly for velocity on this bear hunt I'm going on next week. Shots all 40 yards and under. I'll start a new thread just to let everyone know what my results were.

posted Hide Post
Doc,
That's right, the Triple Shock gave me the best group I've ever shot from any rifle .21". I don't believe these two 243's have seen any Sierra's, just Noslers, Hornady's & Barnes if memory serves in 55gr through 100gr.

These 2 Tikka's are pretty good shooters and with experimentation I can usually work up a load that will do .75" with other bullets. These Triple Shocks are just blowing away everything else I've shot out of these guns and I haven't even tinkered with bullet seating depth, varying the powder charges or swapping primers at all.

I must have just gotten lucky and nailed the correct barrel harmonics right off the bat. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, if I read it right then you've not tried any Sierras. I got pretty hammered in the other thread about Sierra being in denial because I stated that the TSX from Barnes gave me better groups than any Sierra I'd ever tried. It seemed obvious that a few thought I was full of sh_t, so it is nice to see a few others like you a POP getting those better groups too with the Barnes.

I have to admit, I was very nervous putting those pills in my new Hart barrel because of the history of fouling problems from Barnes X. After talking with Ty Herring at Barnes, he convinced me that pressures and fouling would be less.

I put some through the Hart barrel and didn't have any fouling problems. Of course this barrel was still properly broken in and had about 50 rounds through it first.

I hope alot of folks get some triple shocks and give them a try. I'd like to see a future post again on this topic and their accuracy from more shooters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the Triple Shocks yesterday for the first time through my .257 Wby and .340 Wby. The 115 grain .257's grouped at a MOA at 100 yards with the first load I ever tried, I was very impressed. I cut back on powder 2 grains and got virtualy the same speed as regular bullets the same weight. The .338's through the .340 with 225 grains grouped at 1.5 inch with the first load I tried at 100 yards. Again not bad for the initial shooting and starting from scratch with no books for reference, this is not bragging on me, only the bullet. I know I can be good, bad or ugly, thus I want the best hunting bullet possible to help. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
Best ever group since I started reloading:
7mm-08 Rem 700 140 TSX over 47.7 gr H414, Win case, CCI 200 @ 2.775 OAL = .39"

I've shot about 30 rounds of that load, worst group was less than 1", better velosity than with a Partition, negligible fowling,
and they look really cool

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I shot the Triple Shocks yesterday for the first time through my .257 Wby and .340 Wby. The 115 grain .257's grouped at a MOA at 100 yards with the first load I ever tried, I was very impressed. I cut back on powder 2 grains and got virtualy the same speed as regular bullets the same weight. The .338's through the .340 with 225 grains grouped at 1.5 inch with the first load I tried at 100 yards. Again not bad for the initial shooting and starting from scratch with no books for reference, this is not bragging on me, only the bullet. I know I can be good, bad or ugly, thus I want the best hunting bullet possible to help. Good shooting.

Yea, but it's been kind of hot down there in KY hasn't it? Wait til it cools a bit. Bet your groups will tighten up even more.

Barnes Triple Shock, THE NEW ACCURACY STANDARD FOR HUNTING BULLETS BABY

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I went to the range this morning to shoot my 7mm Mag that's going antelope hunting with me next month. I use the 140 grain TSX with IMR4831 and I shot a 0.75" three shot group at 300 yards with it!

Of course, that was one group out of 11 groups that I shot, LOL. The gun regularily shoots 3.5" at 300 but once in the while I scare myself.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote