New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Zip Drive Case Trimmer ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any experience with one of these? Looks like an easy way to trim cases if they work. Any comments about precision and ease of use would be appreciated.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quick, easy, almost "fun" to use. I have used it for quick chamfer and deburr with the Lee C & D tool (liked it better than the more expensive $12 jobs, less chatter marks in brass)
But, as far as accuracy, how accurately can you hold the tool and not overdo it??? Lee suggests only a partial pull of the cord. You have the same problem when doing the wrist twist method. Guess depends how A-R one is worrying about it.
The cartridge "wobbles" somewhat in the holder after using it for > 200 cases. So now I use it strictly for chamfer/deburr operations.
As far as the case trimmer, I had to trim the pilot rod so as to get the thing to trim to spec length for my .308 . I suppose the other calibers are off too, have to check them.

(I have since bought an RCBS Trim Pro w/ drill attmnt. More accurate for trimming, faster for bulk, and easier on the hand! Still use Lee to chamfer and deburr. Would use the Lee to trim if only have a couple of cases.)

Posts: 17 | Location: Western Indyanner | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I had one of these and returned it. I like the Lee lock stud, chucked in a cordless drill much better.

I just put the case in the lock stud, trim with the Lee trimmer tool (had to shorten mine as well for .243 and .308), then a quick chamfer in/out, and some steel wool to buff the case mouth, and clean the case body if necessary.

The Lee lock stud set up is really a good system, in my opinion.

Dan

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've only been reloading about 2 months but I like mine, I also have the Lee case trimmers which are sized for each cartridge, makes it real easy to check for case length.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm an oddball. I consider my drill press as important as my Rockchucker. Trimmed many a thousand cases with the Lee hand trimmer chucked into the drill press. Neck turning takes a Forster trimmer chucked into the drill press. Reaming, the old drill press. Roll crimping slugs is a drill press job. Shortening cases os the drill press with a homemade gizzie.

I paid just under $100 bucks for my bench model and don't see how anyone reloads without one.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Makalu>
posted
Well, I have one; I still have it but after some hindered of round the spring system did brake. I repaired it, it worked again 500 rounds now it is enough I don�t like any more. I now use an electric screwdriver. The idea is good the workmanship is worse than Chinese made.

Makalu

<Maj Dad>
posted
Bill, like some of the other guys I like the Lee trimmer chucked in a drill (corded or cordless) - it's relatively quick, simple, and you don't have to worry about setting the cutting length like on the adjustable ones (I have a new Lyman trimmer with all the bells/whistles back in its box on a shelf after getting inconsistent trim lengths - admittedly operator influenced, but that's the whole idea: idiot/operator-proof is best!) [Wink]

posted Hide Post
All goes well enough until the springy thingy becomes detached and fixing it is a bit like stuffing spaghetti up a wild tom cats ass.

Posts: 7 | Location: U.K. | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote