New
Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning brushes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a problem that I have not sorted out for years. Does anyone have a quick method of cleaning bore brushes after use? I end up tossing them after a relatively few number of cleaning sessions since they gunk up so quickly. I've tried using nitrosol etc. but end up making more of an oily mess (yes, I have even tried to "wipe" the brush off with a cloth - (I did this once - i'm a fast learner....). I feel like I'm refouling the bore the next time I use the darn thing! Nevertheless, any great home remedies to stop this senseless waste?

Posts: 107 | Location: Johannesburg South Africa | Registered: 18 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just spray 'em with an oil to neutralize the solvent I used. Usually I hold em on a heavy duty paper shop towel and spray with wd 40 then pat them a bit and put them in a small zip lock bag. I think you might be "overthinking" the cleanliness of the brush a little. I kind of think that just the tips are against your bore and they're only there to "scratch" off fouling and "scratch in" some solvent. I actually like my bore brushes a little worn cause they feel a little less agressive and I kind of like that even thought I don't think they can damage a good barrel.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pressurized brake cleaner from NAPA or someplace similar will clean them very well and dries in a minute or two.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are bore brushes??? I use WipeOut!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of smedley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:
Pressurized brake cleaner from NAPA or someplace similar will clean them very well and dries in a minute or two.

I concure!!
I also have used spray degreasers from LPS, CRC and a couple others. I hold the nasty brush either over a jar or, most of the time, open the door and walk outside and spray.

Smedley

Posts: 3242 | Location: Cruising through the Milky Way at 98,000fps | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by b beyer:

Ditto!

But ALWAYS use brake parts cleaner OUTDOORS

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brake cleaner will do the job but why?? The damn things only cost a buck or less. Use it for a couple of times and then pitch it. When I am cleaning a target rifle, I always start out with a new brush.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've been using carburator cleaner ever since I ran out of brake cleaner one night. The carb cleaner seems to do a good job and is safer.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
If you are just trying to get the oil out try DAWN DISHWASHING LIQUID and let them soak for a litle while and then rinse them under hot water and let them air dry, should do the trick.