New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to buy corn cob media?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know where corncob media in bulk can be purchased. 100 + pounds?

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dont know about the corn cob , but you can buy walnut at the larger pet store chains. They sell it as reptile litter in 20 lb bags for cheap.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet Cabela's carries it!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wal-Mart carries it! Walked in the other day the had reloading powder, nosler bullets, sierra bullets, and others. Had reloading tools + accesories, i.e. case lube etc. I was impressed, they also had rifle brass. Check them out.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look in the "Yellow" pages in the nearest big city for "sand blasting". They might have what you need. That is where I got my last batch. They will ask you what size you need,. Just take some of the stuff you have now and they can look at it and tell you what size you need.
I think the company in Dallas is called Clem-Tex.

[ 10-31-2003, 18:51: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a big bag of it at the feed store. It was larger grains, but broke down in the tumbler. You might have to ask for it, as it may not be out with the "regular" stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pet stores carry ground corn cob as rodent bedding material. That I have seen is not available in something as large as a hundred pound bag, but is available in bags larger than normally sold to reloaders. The pet store material is coarser than that usually used for tumbling brass, but it will probably work okay; as a previous poster notes, it should grind itself into smaller particles after a while.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pet shops, feed stores, stay away from anything that says 'reloading' on it or you'll pay more.

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a ten pound bag of corn cob media at a pet store last night. I haven't seen it in larger containers. I've also seen walnut shell media at other pet stores. It's prety inexpensive. You certainly wouldn't want to order it from a reloading supplier and have to pay postage on it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found it in 50# bags as it's used to blast soot & dirt off of large hydro electric generator stators. At least that's what we used it for. Check with a sandblasting outfit. They'll know all the sources for various media I'm sure. Hope that helps a bit.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote