New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady or Lyman trimmer?
 Login/Join

<robv60>
posted
Anyone have a recommendation or pros/cons between the Hornady and the Lyman universal trimmers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No.
But before you go shopping,you may have a look at the Lee case trimmers: cheap and effective.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<hotdog>
posted
Lyman with the power attachment You will never regret it. www.lymanproducts.com luck hotdog

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waitaminit:
No.
But before you go shopping,you may have a look at the Lee case trimmers: cheap and effective.

The Lee case trimmers coupled with the "Zip Trim", are the fastest, most convenient and probably the least expensive way to go.

There is no set up, as the length is set with the calber specific pilot. It works like a miniature "recoil starter" on your lawn mower!

One pull: zip, the case is trimmed! One short tug: zip, the inside is chamfered. Another short tug: zip, the outside is chamfered. If you like, one more pull with some steel wool will polish the case mouth! (I omit the last step)

Pilots (with the appropriate shell holder)are $4.79. The "Zip Trim" is $16.95 The cutter is $4.79. (Midway prices)

Unless you want to use the trimmer for neck turning (also easily done with a hand tool) or reaming, I would suggest you give the Lee tool with the "Zip Trim" a try!

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Indiana Tone>
posted
I have a Lyman trimmer I used for a heck of a long time. Got a Wilson trimmer a while back and Iam much happier with it,you might want to consider it also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a used RCBS first and didn't care for it, then I bought a Forester used and really like it, much more accurate. If your interested in a used early RCBS see the classifieds, it's up for sale, price negotiable.

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
<robv60>
posted
My main concern is being able to get all my cases trimmed to the same length. Also, i want to be able to adjust the length the caes will be cut and set the length to a high degree of accuracy. I currently use a Lee trimmer and they work well and are easy to use. However, I want to be able to cut different cases to different lengths without having to by a new gauge for every caliber. Also, i cannot adjust the length for a specific caliber with the Lee tools without grinding the pilot pin down. I want/need something that will allow me to make fine adjustment to the lengths my cases are cut.

<George Capriola>
posted
I recommend you go with a Forster trimmer! I had a Lyman, but it just wouldn't hold adjustment. Got tired of it, gave it away after I got the Forster, and wonder why I didn't get the Forster in the first place!
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Redding trimmer and really like the lathe-type action. Holds adjustments well and is quality construction. I plan to upgrade to their titanium blade.

Still hate trimming cases though....

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For bulk quantities of match cases I chuck a Lee trimmer with the appropriate pilot in my drill press and clamp a piece of hardened steel on the table (because the trimmer indexes for length with a pilot through the primer hole...this would go through a soft iron press table in no time). I hold the case with my fingers and lower the cutter on the case, This setup is very accurate and I can do between 350-500 cases an hour! Total outlay for this setup is maybe $12 (less the cost of a drill press of course).
For less than bulk quantities...maybe 100 pieces, I prefer the Foster and have owned both the Hornady and RCBS trimmers but found both hard to adjust and harder still to maintain repeatable case lengths from case to case. The Foster is dead on all the time.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote