Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 15 .223 load question.
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reloading for quite a few years. Mostly 30-06,3030,38/357,9mm,45acp and 380 auto.
I recently was given my fathers AR 15 that I built for him years back when the Govt was trying to ban assault rifles. I know he never got around to shooting it and now I have it.

My question is, I have severl hundred rounds if used Lake City brass and 55gr fmj-bt winchester bullets. I also have a couple of #,s of W748 powdwer left from a past project. I've seen the max load recommended for the W748 and 55gr bullet was 26.2gr for a pressure of about 41k psi.

What would you guys recommend for a starting load? I was thinking of around 25 to 25.5gr.

Any suggestions?

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Sierra lists 25.1 for their 55 grain bullets. I'd go with that.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That sounds good to me. Thanks.

It's time this AR see,s the shooting range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've seen the max load recommended for the W748 and 55gr bullet was 26.2gr for a pressure of about 41k psi.

You sure that 41K is psi and not CUP?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used - and still use after over 30 years - 27 grains of W748 and 55-grain bullets in my Colt AR-15. This is below the max charge in Speer and Lyman manuals. Oddly, Hodgdon lists a maximum charge of 26.3 grains at just 39,000 CUP - 'way low! I believe this to be a misprint as there is no starting load listed, and 39,000 CUP is in the range of their other starting loads. But to be safe, start at 25 grains and work up. You will not be able to determine sticky extraction, but primer appearance (not that reliable) and case condition can be guides for you.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
If it's any help Sierra lists 26.5 as a max.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote