New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Great Time at the Range
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I spent some time this Saturday at the Scottsdale Gun Club with a party of 7 people. I brought 550 rounds of 40 S&W handloads and 200 rounds of .45 ACP hand loads. I told everyone to police up their brass and put it in my backpack so I could reload it. When I went to leave I found that these guys had pretty much policed up the entire range and crammed it into my backpack. I could barely lift my backpack when I left! When I finally got it all sorted out back at the house, I came up with about 1100 .40 S&W casings, 750 .45 ACP, and too many 9mm to count, well over a thousand I would say. There's also a ton of other calibers in a big bucket, including a couple hundred 10mm. I guess I'll have to buy a 10mm handgun now....darn. The bad thing is I no longer have groups of brass that I know how many times I've fired. I'm fairly certain all the extra brass I came up with are once fired. Not too many reloaders go to that gun club as I understand it. At least people who carry their brass out are rare. If it were for a high powered rifle, I'd probably not use it, but since it's for pistol loads I'll just trim them all to length, inspect them, and use them.

It was my first time shooting my .45 ACP handloads and they shot like crap. I used 200gr Rainier Ballistic RNFMC bullets, a minimum load of titegroup and Winchester large pistol primers. These loads failed to load properly in a Para P14. These are the rounds I posted about earlier in another thread because the book says the OAL of the rounds should be 1.155" which were just too short. They loaded and fired out of a Para compact, but when they were all over the place. However, these were minimum loads and I think making them move faster will improve their group.

I think I have found the .40 S&W load I like best. 155 gr Rainier Ballistics FNFMC bullets, 5.7 gr of titegroup & Winchester wsp primers. I've never shot groups this tight with a pistol before, and I've never seen any factory ammo group like this. I was firing 2.5" groups at 40 feet with a Glock 23, and even tighter groups with a Sig 239. At 20 - 25 feet I was pretty much making one ragged hole in the paper with the Sig.

I had a really good time, and introduced three from our group to shooting for the first time. They are all planning on buying a gun and membership at the gun club now Big Grin.

Posts: 28 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't buy a 10mm trade them to someone who needs them... like me!

How many 10mm cases did you get and how many 40S&W cases would you want in trade for them?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey:

i might be intersted in buying some of that .40 brass if you want to get rid of it. thanks
Bill

Posts: 13 | Location: Madison, NC | Registered: 23 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Don't buy a 10mm trade them to someone who needs them... like me!

How many 10mm cases did you get and how many 40S&W cases would you want in trade for them?

AD

I had 175 10mm casings, but only 86 of them are brass. The rest are steel or aluminum or something that is not brass, they are dull ashy grey in color & made by CCI. I didn't think those could be reloaded, at least I didn't want to run them through my dies, so all but a couple of those went into the recycle trash can. In any event, I have 86 brass casings and I kept 6 steel ones.

quote:

hey:

i might be intersted in buying some of that .40 brass if you want to get rid of it. thanks
Bill

I wouldn't mind selling some of my .40 S&W casings, but I can't guarantee the casings I send will be once-fired since everything got mixed together at the range, some of my twice or third firing cases got mixed into all this range brass.

Normally, when I go to the gun club no one picks up their brass, and everyone is firing store bought factory ammunition. I usually ask my lane neighbors if I can have their brass if they don't want it and they've said yes 100% of the time. So, if you and Allan want to wait until I have a sizable quantity of guaranteed once-fired .40 S&W and 10mm let me know. Or if you guys are happing with the amount and kind of brass I have, let me know and we can work something out.

Posts: 28 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote