New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flat primers with FACTORY LOADS. Update
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is an update to the flate primers i was having with starting light loads in a break action H@R 308. I bought some green box 165"s and guess what they had flat primers too.
Looks like i have a headspace issue. i guess the rifle will go back to the factory. thanks for all your'e help. Mike

Posts: 90 | Location: Okemos Mi. | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, Have you tried any "Starting Load" Reloads in it yet?

The reason I ask is because you might not have a Headspace problem, it could just be a nice "tight" Bore. If that is the situation, they can be quite accurate and you for sure would not want to send it back.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike61:
This is an update to the flate primers i was having with starting light loads in a break action H@R 308. I bought some green box 165"s and guess what they had flat primers too.
Looks like i have a headspace issue. i guess the rifle will go back to the factory. thanks for all your'e help. Mike

IF you interpret every flatterned primer you get as an indication of either too-high pressures or excessive headspace, you are going to be sending a lot of rifles back to the factory. Flattened primers are not necessarily an indication of either kind of problem-some primers fired in some guns are going to look flat, no matter what!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hotcore. starting loads did the same thing and this gun has not been a shooter at all.
El Deguello. you are the first person i have ever heard say this. can you explain. thanlks mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not unusual for new cases (factory ammo) to be quite a bit shorter in the head - shoulder dimension than your factory chamber. If that is the case, it is likely you'd see flattened primers. However, this does not necessarily mean you have a headspace PROBLEM. To establish that, you'd have to measure the headspace on your rifle, and determine whether it was inside the tolerances (min-max) for the cartridge in question. A go/no-go/field gauge is another way of determining whether your rifle has a PROBLEM.

What this does mean, is that you have to be careful to set your FL sizing die, to size your cases for this particular chamber. You really want to use the "partial full length sizing" method, to ensure your cases will provide you with as many loadings as possible. If you load new cases, you might consider creating a false shoulder to ensure minimal case stretch on the first firing...

You'd be surpriesd if you saw (post on AR of late), how much factory cases often grow in the head-shoulder dimension when initially fired in a factory chamber.

All this assuming that the reason for the flattened primers is indeed case stretch. As Eldeguello and Hot Core pointed out, the problem could also be elsewhere.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You get flat primers with new factory ammo and never fired new brass. The New brass isnt fireformed and sets loose in the chamber and loose against the bolt face , causeing flatened primers.

Neck size once fired brass(formed to the chamber)and load the same load . Now its a tight fit in the chamber and against the bolt face.

See, now the primers arnt flattened

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP7 that is the problem once fired brass from that chamber with starting loads or any for that matter have FLAT primers, neck sized brass sticks in the chamber. (brake action)

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
GSP7 that is the problem once fired brass from that chamber with starting loads or any for that matter have FLAT primers, neck sized brass sticks in the chamber. (brake action)

If it's a headspace problem, you'd get primers backing out with a starting load. How does the web look? A little ring around it?

I had a Savage that did the same thing, flattened alot of the factory shells I tried. Wound up using 7grs. below max, still kills alot of deer, though. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Primer flattening is standard with PMC factory ammunition and their component primers ... soft cups I guess. Have you tried changing primer brands? Getting a 'smith to look over the rifle is also probably not a bad idea if you think headspace is the issue.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just broke in a handirifle in 270 I fired 100 rounds of factory and all the primers were flattened to some degree. Groups ran anywhere from 2-4 inches. I just kept cleaning and shooting to break in the barrell and get some brass to fool around with (all brands). I tried nosler 130s sierra 130s and 90s with IMR 4350 3031 and 4064 groups still 2-4 inches (100yd) 4350 and noslers did best. Floated barrel with an O ring 2-4 inches still. Tried a plastic washer groups 1.5-3. During all this testing I saw some flattened primers with the 4064 and 3031. Loaded 54gr of 7828 behind the remainder of my bullets last weekend just to get rid of them. Shot some .75-.90 groups with the 130s. No flat primers either. Planning to tinker a little more

Posts: 19 | Location: Spartanburg, SC | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hotcore. starting loads did the same thing and this gun has not been a shooter at all...
Hey Mike, You might want to try a 150gr bullet. Occasionally a rifle just won't shoot a specific weight bullet well.

I'd recommend you set your Resizing Die to Partial-Full Length Resize, you want it sized just enough so the action "snaps" shut with a quick movement.

And I'd recommend you try a box of either MatchKings or Ballistic Tips to eliminate the Bullet as causing the in-accuracy.

There are lots of excellent Powders for the 308Win. I use a bunch of IMR-4064, but when it is used up I'll go to Varget and never look back. WW-748 and BL-C2 do right well too. Always found RL-15 a bit erratic as I approached a SAFE MAX, but I do believe I'm the only person alive to have that issue.

If it is still shooting Patterns, check to see the scope Base is snug and maybe switch scopes for a few shots.
---

I really would find it difficult to believe they got too tight of a Bore on your rifle. But, you could stick a bullet lightly into the Tip of the Muzzle and turn it to score the jacket. Then measure the diameter of that scored line. If it is between 0.302"-0.304" the Bore is the correct diameter.

They are a well Managed Firearms Company and I feel sure they will work with you if you can't get the problem resolved.

If you do send it back, have them adjust the trigger to 3# for you. It is a service they will normally do at no charge.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote