New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aging Powder-Primer Components
 Login/Join

<Paul Machmeier>
posted
Recently, I have found some really old powder and primers, 30+ years old. Are any of these usuable or do the powder and or primers have a shelf life?

In the past I have fired 20-30 year old Western .375 ammo which I bought on the cheap just for target practice, no problems. If is risky in any way, I would want to discard the components. Don't care to get a hang-fire in a big bore if this would be a result.

Can anyone tell me an acceptable way to discard powder or primers? In the past someone told me to just pour the powder out on the ground, but the primers require special handling.

Appreciate your comments!

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Depending on how the components have been stored, they may be perfectly fine and usable.

The primers are likely fine and rather than dump them, use them in practice loads to punch paper or plink. If one or two misfire, nothing lost.

Same with the powder, but if you want to get rid of it, it makes great fertilizer. You can also put it in a pile and burn it.

[ 12-04-2002, 20:50: Message edited by: Bob338 ]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that nitrogen-based powder will make the grass green. But I've RARELY seen single-base powder go bad, so check it out before you discard it. Double base powder tends to be a little less stable.

Try a few of those primers by snapping them in uncharged cases. If they shoot consistetly, then try them in some non-critical practice loads before using them in any serious loads. My favorite primers are a batch manufactured in 1969 and I've depended on them on multi-thousand dollar hunts.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Paul Machmeier>
posted
Thanks guys for the input. Will do the testing as you indicated. Had no idea old powder was that stable, just like fine wine and some women [Wink] .

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
Because I'm sorta stingy,I use a lot of old stuff.
There are warning signs when powder goes bad. Pour about an ounce from the can into a container.
Bad powder granules soften and cling together.Even if it is safe,you cannot measure it accurately. Bad powder will also go the other extreme,and emit clouds of smoke. In both cases you get a strong acrid odor.
I will use powder that gasses,a little,as long as there is no smell.
Be careful,
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote