New
Find
Notify
Tools

my new 25-06 deer load
 Login/Join

<Eric Leonard>
posted
I was loading some 300 RUM loads today and saw a box of 117 Hornady BTSP bullets and then glanced back at the RL 25 I was using with the RUM and a light went off.
I didnt have any data for the RL 25 and the 25-06 so I started with RL 22 data and worked my way up until I saw some pressure signs then backed off 2 grs.
what I wound up with was 60 grs RL 25 the Fed Standard Match Primer and the 117 BTSP at 3145 fps and .65 groups.
I could see this load becoming #1 over my 100 gr Nosler load.
I started at 55 grs and got to 62 before anything got sticky.the 60 gr load seems safe in this custom Shillen bbled gun but I wouldnt recomend it for any other rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I`m glad someone finally did it. I`ve been wanting to try that powder for months in my 25-06. It also is FINE in a .264 Win Mag. Thanks for sharing the info. Tim.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
eric... let us know how it turns out... ol sarge and I are very big 25-06 fans. [Big Grin] I wouldnt think of buying those 117s as I have a heap of bullets I havent even tried yet. Take care
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got out to the range today with my Browning A bolt in 25/06. Was using the Combined Technology 115 gr. BT bullets and H4831SC. Shooting just under and inch and a half at 200 meters. I'm pretty happy with these groups from this 22" skinny barrel.
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
I'd be interested to know what those pills chronograph at. I had a pet load in my 2506 for years using H870 but never ran it through a chrony.... is RL-25 a similar slow burner? Hummm.....

<Eric Leonard>
posted
that is what it chronied.9 shot avg of 3145 fps with a 30 fps extreme spread and 13 on the standard deviation.

the reason I always liked the 100 gr load was that it would expand quick and really give the deer a shock.I never could get the 117-120`s shoot accurately at anything over 2850 fps with any other powder, and I tried them all.with this level of accuracy and that speed the 117 should really put the hurt on any deer in the woods.

<Eric J>
posted
THAT'S ALOT OF RELOADER 25! I made it up to 56.5gns and stopped. Has the muzzle flash of a howitzer out of my Sendero. Accuracy was soso, around an inch. Tried it with 115 BTips. Still doesn't come close to my 100gn BTip load with 56 gns of Reloader 22. That load will shoot under 1/2 moa, and will get there fast.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
There has been data on the .25-06 and RL-25 for over a year on my website...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
Steves pages gives 58.9 as max soo I would think 60 should not be too much from this gun.it has a definite history of taking hotter than normal loads.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Eric I have been doing this for years. 56 gr 7828 with the Hornady 117 bt, Fed 215 caps. . 3200 fps and great accuracy. This is a very "TOUGH" bullet. Dozens of deer and prairie sprinters and never recovered one bullet! Flat shooting too! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
I tried 7828 and got the velocity you have but the groups fell apart at 2900.

this is the only powder I could get the velocity and the groups.

some were fast and not accurate and others were accurate and slow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that the 117 Hornady BTSP bullets shoot well with any powder charge in my 25/06. Great groups that are consistant. I have been using IMR 4831 but I think I will try RL22 or 25 now. My deer load is a 90 grain X bullet BT. I don't have the spec with me but it was a hot load. But it harvested a 7 point buck like lighting. Thru peneration with a 3" exit hole. I didn't use the 117 because it didn't peneratrate as well or give as big of wound channel when shot into wet news print. I did work better than 115 BT or Sierra soft points. Have fun.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote