New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Magnetic fore sighter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are these any good? I have a Bushnell and don"t think it does a good job. Thanks-Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not real impressed with my leupold either.
It "usually" gets you on paper. For some reason I have better luck if I set the scope cross hairs a little to the right of where the center is supposed to be on the leupold. After I get most my guns sighted perfect and I put the boresighter on the barrel it shows that the cross hairs are set too far right.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a little diagram of where each of my rifles scope crosshairs intersect the grid on my Leupold Magnectic Bore sight. They are on stick on labels and I have them on the lid of my ammo case. I've found that when I get to camp or where ever I'm going and don't have the opportunity to actually check the rifle on paper, I can still check my zero this way. The bore sight isn't neccesarily going to be dead center on the grid. When arriving for a hunt I still check on paper when possible. Although the center of the grid may not be your POI, It will usually put you on the paper at 100 yards.
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience has been while windage is usually close, elevation is a sometime thing...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not super accurate, but usually gets you on paper. I like it to check point of impact when I get somewhere and can't shoot it right away or if I'm going to change scopes.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Leuopolds, but the Bushnells can be adjusted to show true zero. The cap at the back of the bore sighter screws off and underneath are four adjusting screws that will move the cross hairs. Take it easy, a little goes a long way. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Leupold boresighter depends on the muzzle face being exactly square with the bore -- a condition that only "sometimes" exists. As another poster noted, when a given rifle is properly zeroed, it may indicate an entirely different place on the boresight than the center of the grid. The Leupold boresighter is best used just as Rich described, once a rifle is zeroed, to verify that the scope alignment or crosshairs have not shifted.

With a bolt action (or some singleshots), the most accurate boresighting is done by simply setting the rifle on a steady rest and looking through the bore at a particular target to align the bore and crosshairs. This method is much more accurate than either the arbor-type or Leupold boresight.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote