Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 8x57 Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I chronographed loads in mine with 4895, 4350, Rlr 15, W760, and Imr 4064 in bullet weights from 170 to 200 gns. 4064 was the clear winner. None of them really produced any significant gains in accuracy, but the 180 gn BT's and 4064 was superb in all aspects. I was quite impressed with some recovered BT slugs too. At 8X57 speeds I have no doubt that they would hit a deer like the hammer of thor and hold together.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I also shot my pre-war sporter in 8 x 57 this morning working up loads for the Speer 200 gr. SP. The rifle is a very light Mauser sporter, full length matted rib with 1 fixed and 1 folding blade, these are tiny little blades and a bead, and I'm old with poor eyes so don't get on me about how poor a shot I am. I'm using H380 powder with 42-47 grains at 1 grain intervals. All the below are 3 shot averages at 50 yards, chrony at 8' from the muzzle.
42 Gr. - 2018 FPS average - shoots about 3 inches high at 50 yards. 1.35" center to center.
43 Gr. - 2144 FPS average - Shoots to point of aim vertically, need to work with this one some more as I may have pulled the last round to the left. 1.935" center to center, first two into about .5" c to c.
44 Gr. - 2194 FPS average - the most accurate load, shoots about 1.25" high at 50 yards. 1.09" c to c.
45 Gr. - 2244 FPS average - very inaccurate in my gun.
46 Gr. - 2262 FPS average - another inaccurate load in my gun.
47 Gr. - 2316 FPS average - shoots about 2.25" high at 50 yards but nearly as accurate as the 44 gr. load. 1.18" c to c.

No loads showed any pressure signs in my rifle. I'm going to play around with the 47 grain load, move it 1/2 a grain at a time, 200 grains at something around 2300-2350 should be pretty good deer and pig medicine at short range.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice sporterized K98 Mauser that I like very much. I have a scope on it. I use 44 grains of Varget with the 200 grain Speer Spitzers and I'm getting three shot groups at 100 yds right at 1.00". If you don't want to scope the rifle consider the Mojo peep sight.
http://www.mojosights.com/

I too have old eyes and these Mojo peep sights really improved my ability to sight my MN 91/30. I'm going to get a set for one of my MilSurp Mausers and use it for a brush hunting rifle.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Val, I looked at the Mojo sights and might use them on one of the milsurps, unfortunately this one has a barrel with a full length rib and standing leaf sight, not even close to the same size as the military 98's.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I see several folks have had great luck with the Remington 185s. I have a single shot when I load with this bullet. It hits the top of the barrel EVERY time and fails to chamber.
I don't shoot it enough to be of great concern, but did buy it for a "rainy day" rifle . . . . of course I don't shoot it a lot because of the failure to feed.
Yeah, I have some Hornady 150s (they feed fine)and could use them, but bought a bunch of the Remingtons before I tried them and being the tightwat that I am, I "insist" that they work. I have also become such a wimp that I don't hunt in the rain!

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote