Find
Notify
Tools

416 hoffman-416 rem mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted
my daughter an learner PH doing her Full PH in Zim has a 416 Rem mag and has been given 2 boxes of 416 Hoffman A Square ammo by a friendly client.
i am not a reloading nut but have done a bit and have alot of friends that do reloading here in zim
can this 416Hoffman be resized to 416Rem Mag flame

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't find the exact specs for the .416 Hoffman, except that its shoulder diameter is listed at .491, just a tad larger than the .416 Rem shoulder at .486". Generally, if it would chamber in your .416 Rem, then it should be safe to fire; however, I suspect that it may not chamber. If that is the case, you could break down the cartridges by pulling the bullets and full length size the Hoffman case in a .416 Rem full length die, then re-assemble the loads.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Not only is the Hoffmann larger in the shoulder I believe the shoulder is further forward as well. The 416 Rem would probably load and fire in the Hoffman but not the other way around.

Hoffman brass could probably be resized to Remington but you would need to pull the bullet powder etc. I would leave the Hoffman ammo well enough alone and find someone that needs it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents and Sam for your imput if any one wants to swop and is coming to zim in the next 6 month or so PM me and i can send photos of this ammo

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote