New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm new to this forum, but not new to shooting & reloading.

I used "Find" and learned that I'm not the only one searching for reliable Barnes data. Also, that Barnes isn't necessarily a reliable source for load data on their own bullets (!)

I generally use Hornady, but I haven't tried their new "gilding metal" offerings, partly because they don't have anything in .243 yet.

Barnes has been at the lead-free game longer than Hornady, but Hornady impresses me more with their attention to detail.

Washington State is heading for lead-free, I'm afraid, and I'd like to get a head start on working up some hunting ammo.

What should I do? Go with Barnes because they have .243, .308 and .429 calibers or wait for Hornady to get their act together?

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong

Posts: 29 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 06 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with Barnes bullets. Also consider the new Nosler gilding metal bullets.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the Barnes bullets. Their current load data (and especially the claimed velocities) in NO. 4 and on their website is pretty good. Much better than it has been. You also might be waiting a while for Hornady to make their new bullets in .243 and .429. Nosler has had the etip out for more than a year and still only make it in the most common of mid-range calibers.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
you can email barnes and they will send you data on just about any caliber.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I've loaded Barnes TSX bullets for the 257 Wby, 30-06 and the 338-378 Wby. All of them shoot these bullets very well. I've also loaded up the TTSX and MRX bullets in the two larger bores. They shot very well also. I'm starting to really like the TTSX bullets and am waiting to get my hands on some for the 257.

The TTSXs are supposed to open up better with the "non magnum" velocities but still hang together even in the two screamers that I load for.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's where to find a start at barnes data:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/load-data/

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I see Barnes has TTSX's in .243 as well as Varmint Grenades. Also TTSX's in .308.

I'll get a couple boxes of each and work up using Barnes data.

.30-06 Springfield: 100 yrs + and still going strong

Posts: 29 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 06 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something I tried once and have some data on is 200 gr bx, fed 215 primer, 69 gr IMR 4831 in a Browning A-Bolt .300 Win 300 w/ 26“ bbl.

MV on ten consecutive rounds was 2949, 2975, 2863, 2958, 2739, 2977, 2932, 2962, 2966, 2934 for an extreme spread of 238, average of 2926, average deviation of 50. Temperature on the day of shooting was 45 (F). Date was 19 March 1994.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote