New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06, which bullet to use?
 Login/Join

<marcus>
posted
I have just picked a new left handed winchester in 30-06. I will be using the rifle to shoot at paper and whitetail deer 99% of the time. Once in a long while, a cow elk tag comes along, so whatever I load, I would like to work on that. I don't take screaming long shots, am patient and pass on poor shots rather than take them. So the question is, what bullet weight for accuracy and if there is a preference for manufacture and loads, that information would be great. Also, is there any difference between the recoil of 165 gr and 150 gr. bullets given that lighter ones are driven faster than heavier ones. I just had my rotator cuff repaired, so recoil will be an issue for a while. Thanks for all your help in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
marcus
Based on the info you have given any good 180gr. bullet should work. If you are reloading you can use the "starting" loads in the loading manual to cut down on the recoil. Since your shots are close you might even consider a 180 round nose.
I would probably prefer to have a deer load with a 150, or 165 and a Premium 180 for the elk, but I enjoy experimenting and using different bullets.
Probably the best bullet for "mice to moose" in the 30-06 would be the 180gr. Nosler Partition.
I would rather have too much bullet on the deer than not enough on the elk. Plus if you are shooting at close range you do not want a "soft, frangible" bullet anyway.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marcus, try 165 partitions with reloader 19. Use your reloading manual and work up to an accurate safe load. This combo should get you in the ballpark for accuracy and speed. If recoil is an issue put a good thick recoil pad on like a "Decelerator", "Kick EEZ" or maybe even a muzzle break. VIP.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Marcus, Listen to VIP... The bullet is the key and load to meet your game. Watch out for your shoulder via a past recoil shirt/pad and hit them where it hurts.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Bullet: Sierra 168 Grain Boat Tail Hollow Point
Powder: 56.6 grains of IMR-4350
Primer: Winchester WLR
Case: Winchester
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Velocity: 2801 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Bullet: Nosler 180 Grain Partition
Powder: 55.0 grains of IMR-4350
Primer: Winchester WLR
Case: Winchester
Firearm: Ruger 77R
Velocity: 2705 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<reverenddan>
posted
I would add my agreement to what everyone here has already said.

The 30/06 is a fantastic all around caliber. I have a Tikka with a synthetic stock and a Zeiss scope that is my "do-all" rifle.

Here in Montana the shots can get long at times. So I use the Nosler 165 grain bullets. I use a ballistic tip when I am hunting deer and antelope and big varmints and when the game gets tougher I switch to the partition bullet.

The 165 grain seems to be a good compromise between the traditional 150 grain and the heavier 180 grain. I have had some 180 grainers go completely through thin skinned animals.

Anyway IMO if you find a nice Nosler bullet and load ballistic tips and partitions of the same weight they have virtually the same point of impact and trajectory.

As you can see I like simplicity.

By the by, my "big" gun is a custom 35 Wheelen (bears and other biting stuff). [Wink]

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
The 165 gr. Nosler partition has performed very well in my 30-06 on everything from whitetail deer to nilgai cows (weight up to 600#) and on shots taken out to 300 yds. The extra cost of the premium bullet is certainly worth the extra performance on game. Doubt that you can tell the difference in recoil between the 150 & 165's but probably can feel the difference when you step up to the 180's.

The Past pads suggested above do take the bite out of recoil and muzzle breaks actually reduce recoil (at a cost of higher muzzle blast).

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm happy to say I agree with all of the opinions that have been expressed here. If I had to settle with just one bullet for everything in my Remington 700 Stainless Mountain Rifle, I'd probably choose a premium bullet that weighs 165 grains. A couple of years ago John Barsness wrote an article in "Hanloader Magazine" (no. 202) on the "ultimate" .30-06 load, and it featured a 165-grain Failsafe or Barnes X bullet pushed by between 57 and 58.5 grains of IMR 4350.

I think a 165 Partition would also be great.

The load I use with a 165-grain bullet is 62 grains of Reloder 22, which is actually pretty mild. Just as good is 61.5 grains of H4831SC. You can't go wrong with 50 grains of Varget or the aforementioned IMR 4350 load. Reloder 19 is also outstanding, as is IMR4831 and Vihtavuouri N160.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcus:
... I just had my rotator cuff repaired, so recoil will be an issue for a while. ...

Hey marcus, Looks like you are getting good info about "bullets", so I'll pass on that.

I totally agree with the recommendations about the Pachmayer Decellerator recoil pads. Just an absolutely great product.

One other thing you might want to consider is to do some practicing from the "Off-shoulder". I'm pretty much right handed about most things, but learned to shoot pistols, revolvers and rifles from either side and with either eye as the Master. Not as good with a shotgun from the Left side though.

I'd guess about 25% of my Deer Kills over the years have been shot from my left. So, you might want to give it a try since your shoulder is on the mend.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go along with the Decelerator pad by Pachmeyr, they work. An outfit called Past makes a recoil shield, as they call it, that you strap on your shoulder. It spreads the recoil effect over a wider area. Takes a small bit of getting used to, but they do work well.
Now, in many ways, I've been a one bullet weight, one load type for many years.
In 30-06, I use the Sierra spitzer flat base for deer sized game and the Nosler 180 gr. Partition for the bigger stuff. What I did was work up the load with the Sierra bullet to find my maximum accurate load. Then, I dropped back about two grains of powder, and worked back up with the Nosler. Both loads shoot to the same point of impact as far as I'm comfortable in shooting a game. Personally, I prefer my bullets to pass through my game. If I should have the misfortune to make a bad shot, and let's face it, it does happen regardless of how careful you are, then I at least have a decent blood trail to work with. Either bullet, loaded to about 2700 FPS should serve you well.
If your rifle like the 165 gr. bullets, I suppose you could go that route. My 06 simply hates every 165 gr. bullet I've tried, but my .308 loves them.
I had such good results from the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core from my .308 that I'm thinking about trying their 180 gr. SPFB Hot Core in my 30-06
Hope all this helped some, and hope your shoulder heals fast. Good luck.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ll throw in another vote for the Past recoil shield and the Pachmayer pad. They really do help! One more thing you may want to try is putting a shot or sand bag between your shoulder and the rifle but when shooting at the bench. I had a buddy that used this when shooting his 338 and can vouch that it does really cut felt recoil.
As for ammo the other posters have gave ya good advice.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
165 gr. - 180 gr. Nosler B-Tip / Partition, and a suitable IMR powder and a Win Lg. Rifle primer, with Win. brass.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I start to notice a step up in recoil at the 180 grain level. I don't seem to feel alot of difference from 140-165 grains, but when I shoot the 180's I feel it.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What with the rotator cuff and all, I think I'd opt for a 150gr bullet. Altho I have never shot a 150 thru my 30-06 (I've used 165's and up), I think the perceived recoil would be less. Also, depending on the expected range, I'd kinda lean toward the starting loads. Felt recoil is a result of the ejecta (stuff) that is being sent down the barrel. More stuff, more recoil. I understand there are many more facets to it, but the amount of "stuff" is one variable that can be controlled.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reverenddan:
Anyway IMO if you find a nice Nosler bullet and load ballistic tips and partitions of the same weight they have virtually the same point of impact and trajectory.

Completely agree. I use the 150 grain Partitions on driven hunts and the BT while stillhunting, both with RL19. For deer, an even less recoiling option would be the 125 grain BT with VV N140. This bullet should be more than sufficient for a heart/lungshot, if it groups out of your rifle.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the partition bullets too. I have had good luck with the 150 grain X bullet flatbase in my 30/06. IMR 4831 has given me the most consistant velocities.

As for recoil that is great advice that people have been giving you. When shooting long session I put a folded up towel under my Past recoil shield for the big boomers. Works great. My weatherby has the pachmyer and I have been thinking to convert some of my other rifles because it worked so well

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Use a controlled expansion 165-grain for all. It is more than sufficient for deer, and is O.K. for cow elk too. The Barnes X 165 is adequate for ANY elk!!

posted Hide Post
I'll vote for 180gr Nosler Partition and whatever dose of H-4831 your rifle likes.

Posts: 15 | Location: Jackson County MI | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
165 gr. Hornady SST would work on anything up to the size of cow elk. It should shoot accurate, and not recoil too much. Get a Decelerator pad installed first.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I have found that a box of Hornady 180gr for practice and a box of Barns X for hunting have served me perfectly. When the X's run out I will drop to 165gr as they will perform just as well.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
If you are using a Bolt or Pump, Reloader 19 or IMR 4350 is a excellent powder for the 06' with 180 grain Nosler Part. about 57.0 grains and Fed 210M primers and Fed Cases.

If you have a Browning Auto or Rem Auto then IMR 4895, 4064 or VARGET will be your powder due to the pressure curve.

Love that 06'.........

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I really like the Kick-Eze recoil pad. Put one on my A-Bolt and it really reduced the recoil to a manageable level. The pads must be hand-fitted, but it only took me about an hour. They are made of a thick piece of Sorbothane IIRC, which is a really soft rubber.

Posts: 13 | Location: California | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Pachmayr Decelerator is the best money you'll spend with that rotator cuff. I like 180 gr. Fail Safes but bear in mind that I like to use one load for everything. Ifyou like a lighter load for deer the 165 Partition is a good choice.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote