New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANYBODY LOADING FOR THE 30/30 WIN.?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a good flat or round nose bullet, 150 or 170 grain weight area, with cannelure. What are you guys using?

I am about out of Nosler Solid base bullets and they don't make them anymore so I need to find a new pill to poke holes in deer with.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I like the hornady interbond in 150 or 170. I use them in the 30-30, 307 and 308 marlin express.

Posts: 5710 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any brand name bullet would be worth trying.
They are labeled 30-30 and therefore have the blunt nose and crimp ring. 'Cept for hornady's plastic point which I don't think we can buy yet. I'm using Sierra seconds at the moment, and when they get the crimp ring in the wrong place, well they crimp up OK without it. nilly

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I always liked the Speers because they have the best ballistic coefficients of the .308 FNs. Hornady's Web site says the gummy-tip bullets are avaiable to reloaders, but I haven't seen any yet.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16549 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I like the Speer Hot-Cor 150 gr Flat Soft Point. They shoot really good in my Marlin.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Just because it makes me think of days gone by I like the Rem/Pete's 150's and my Model 94. Buy bulk from Midway and use either IMR 3031, or H335, the ball is better.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use either Speer 170's, Nosler Part. 170's and Montana bullets-180grn Hardcast.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I will look them up and try them. Hey Grizz, The Montana hardcast, are they lead without a copper jacket?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornBerrey makes a 150gr Flat Nose copper plated bullet That when shot around 1800fps has proven accurate in a number of 30 Cal. rifles including the 30-30. They are a low cost, accurate bullet that yields low recoil and is just fun to shoot.It may not be prudent today to use such a bullet at this velocity for deer, but over 100 years ago lead bullets traveling at this speed were doing it with a lot of success. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most accurate bullet in my son's 30-30 is the Nosler 170 grain Partition.
I just bought an older Marlin 336 Carbine in 30-30, and I'm using the same bullet.
30.5 grains of IMR-4895 is the powder charge, for both rifles.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 150 gr speers in mine in front of 4198.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks all, I will look them up and try them. Hey Grizz, The Montana hardcast, are they lead without a copper jacket?

pure "hard-cast", brn around 22-no copper jacket. www.montanabulletworks.com

I've used 150 grn. hardcast on moose and penetrates as well but I like the heavier...just in case.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i but the bulk Rems from midway they work

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem 170 grain?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed nosler the other day about their 30-30 partition bullets and they returned my emai and in the letter they told me they are coming out with a 150 grain ballistic silvertip next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:
I emailed nosler the other day about their 30-30 partition bullets and they returned my emai and in the letter they told me they are coming out with a 150 grain ballistic silvertip next year.

That's good info! thumb

Thank you for the posting.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
That nosler balistic tip can you use it in a 30-30 win's tube magazine???

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
supposedly designed for the 30-30 I imagine it has a soft point so its safe in the tube feeds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:
I'm looking for a good flat or round nose bullet, 150 or 170 grain weight area, with cannelure. What are you guys using?

I am about out of Nosler Solid base bullets and they don't make them anymore so I need to find a new pill to poke holes in deer with.

I Still have a couple hundred Nosler flatbase
170gr bullets and when I finally use them up
I'll switch to the Nosler 170gr partition.

It's not like you really spend all that much on the projectiles relative to the other costs of hunting.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote