New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full lenth sizing Problem
 Login/Join

<Frank>
posted
I have a sako 7-08 Ackley and the bolt was getting a little hard to go down, so time to full lenth re-size. I started by backing die a full turn off shell holder so I could work down to get the bolt to go down easy,just the right amount of pushing shoulder back. (took firing pin out of bolt)Well I worked all the way down to the die hitting shell holder and cases still won't chamber easy. Is the die bad?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
I have a sako 7-08 Ackley and the bolt was getting a little hard to go down, so time to full lenth re-size. I started by backing die a full turn off shell holder so I could work down to get the bolt to go down easy,just the right amount of pushing shoulder back. (took firing pin out of bolt)Well I worked all the way down to the die hitting shell holder and cases still won't chamber easy. Is the die bad?

If you have checked the other possible causes such as too thick necks with loaded rounds? excessive case length? then the die may not be "bad", it may just not match your guns chamber????most companies offer special service for such problems...send them three fired cases and they will make a die for your guns chamber....on a "standard wildcat/improved " cartridge there are tolerences allowed and your chamber may be at the opposite end than your dies....good luck and good shooting with glove fit ammo!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike M>
posted
Frank

See posts "You tell me" by Rob1SG in this forum.

[This message has been edited by Mike M (edited 10-26-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Bigdaddy said. Except I think I would first simply purchase (or preferably borrow) another sizing die of a different make rather than go to the trouble and expense of having custom dies made to see if that solves your problem.

Another possibility is that you have a shell holder head that is too thick in the rim. Another shell holder head with a thinner rim would be much less expensive than a new die set. Shell holder heads are cheap -- try grinding a hundredth or two off of yours and see what happens. The same thing can be accomplished by grinding a little off of your sizing die at the mouth, but it's harder and you're more subject to screwing up a more expensive piece.

But do check out the other possibilities like excessive case length, etc., before buying another die.

I have an RCBS FL .243 die that BARELY squeezes cases small enough for my Remington 700, but they easily chamber even when the die is backed off to neck-size in my Sako and a Browning. Dies and chambers vary.

[This message has been edited by Stonecreek (edited 10-26-2001).]

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The sensible and simple thing to do is to simply shorten the die by about .010 to enable you to bump the shoulder. If you don't want to modify the (expensive)die then you can cut down the (cheap) shellholder by the same amount and accomplish the same thing.
Improved cartridges are properly chambered a little short ( about .004 or5) in headspace and the dies may not reflect this. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Often you can get a little more sizing by screwing the die just past where it contacts the shellholder and camming the toggle over center. That takes ALL the play out of the system and stresses the press frame.
That is the quickest and cheapest fix. If it does not work, you have not invested much, and no harm done.
Regards from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Frank, Send three fired cases that will chamber in your rifle along with your die back to the die manufactor. Call them first for instructions. This is a fairly common occurence among custom chambers. If your dies are from Redding ask for Bruce Merkuer in customer service.

As for grinding shellholders this might work but I would have the shellholder machined in a lathe or mill for a more even tolerence.

sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was having a problem such as yours long ago, and the "cure" was trimming the cases to the proper length.

Keep in mind that the all the answers here are good possibilities. When I was having my problem I asked for answers and got plenty; "trimming" was one of the answers, and it worked for me.

Then, from an article on a gun magazine I learned to set my dies as follows:

ADJUSTING DIES (full and neck dies):
a. Lube a fired case, and then dip the mouth in powered graphite. Back the die off and run the case into it. Drop the press� ram, and look at the case neck-you should be able to see a line where the neck has entered the sizing portion of the die. Adjust the die down in small increments, and keep on watching the line on the neck of the case each time it is run into the die. When the line just reaches the point where the neck and shoulder meet, adjust the die down one sixteenth of a turn.

TO LOCK THE DIE IN PLACE: Take a small mechanic�s socket and place it between the shell holder and the bottom of the die, and then press the ram and socket against the bottom of the die. Keep the pressure applied, and lock the die in place with the lock ring. This procedure squares the die with the shell holder.

TO ALIGN THE EXPANDER/DECAPER ASSEMBLY:Back off the lock ring and run a case up in the die until it punches out the primer. Now raise the handle until the expander pulls into the neck of the case, and hold it there. With the expander in the neck of the case, tighten the lock ring. This procedure aligns the expander with the neck under tension, minimizing the possibility of pulling the neck out of line on the down stroke of the ram.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
Thanks for the response's. It seems the die is long, So I will send it back with fired case's. Ummm, does that mean the neck sizer has to go back to?

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Frank:
Ummm, does that mean the neck sizer has to go back to?

Nope.

-- Mats

<sure-shot>
posted
Your neck die should be okay. So nope also.
sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do what Bill Leeper and Ross suggested...Just file a .010 off the case holder or until your case fits the chamber...Keep everything square, it's as simple as falling off a log and doesn't tie your stuff up for weeks on end...Happens quite often...It's probably not the die, more likly your chamber is a tad out of spec.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote