New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma .270 Brass VS. Winchester .270 brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
finally getting my old faithful pre-64 rebarreled by Speedy with a Shilen Select Match. I read some brass from Norma is just awesome in quality/consistency while others are not and even made by a vendor. There is one heck of a difference in $$ and I am just wondering if any of you have used Norma 270 brass specifically and what you found. I match prep all of my brass and If it is worth it I would like to switch over or otherwise stick with Win brass. Thank you

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've never used the 270. However I have used their 280 brass for years for all my wildcat work. I have taken it up to 416 without a problem. Weight is very consistant. I've always been very please with it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Norma brass is heavier than Winchester brass and has a larger in diameter casehead. Norma brass is much thicker in the shoulder area.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralph does this result in a substantial drop in case capacity with tregard to this particular cartridge?

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Not really, just 1-2 grains of powder. You do have to reduce your max loads.

The cases fit the chamber a little better.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I have found Norma brass to be much closer to the actual SAAMI case head dimensions, resulting in less unsightly "bulge" @ the case head from firing.

Also, Norma brass has a drilled, not punched, flash hole and therefor does not need any "flash hole deburring" as there is no burr to start with.

It is also more consistant, and my experience with 30-06 and 280 has been that the case capacity is about 2grs more than "Remingchesteral" brass.

Worth every cent IMO.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree with Wildcat. The reason I used 280 Norma brass was because the capacity was always greater than the Rem or Win. While I would love to see the price lower I will always buy it over the Rem or Win.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote