New
Find
Notify
Tools

.260 Rem. load data?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK guys, here's the deal. My hunting buddy needs input for a extremely accurate load in his Kimber M84 .260 Rem.(something that has worked in your rifle), for a 100 gr. bullet, and IMR 4350 powder. If he can't get it to shoot with that combo, it will be up for sale. I've looked at the usual places, and can't locate any data. Suggestions? Thanks.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
well it taint 4350... I shoot the caliber in a Ruger 77 Mk 2...

Both the fastest and most accurate load I have come across for the 260 with a 100 grain bullet is 43.5 grains of IMR 4064...

MV is 3350 fps out of a 22 inch barrel and 3450 fps out of a 26 inch barrel....

accuracy in each of my rifles ( 3) is well under 1/2 an inch, especially when old seafire's trigger finger can do his part...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough Seafire; I will let him know. Thanks much.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, 4350 would not be my first choice for a 100gr bullet. So why is that a deal breaker for your friend? RL15, IMR4064, VV150 are all better suited to the lighter bullets in 260. I'm sure you can get the 4350/100gr combo to work, but vel. will not be where it should be. You could work upto 45gr under a 100grNBT & see how it shoots, but all rifles are diff. & small bores more finicky than med. & large bores IMO.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure you can get the 4350/100gr combo to work, but vel. will not be where it should be. You could work upto 45gr under a 100grNBT & see how it shoots, but all rifles are diff. & small bores more finicky than med. & large bores IMO.

I can`t agree with this.
47 gr of 4350, IMRs flavor not Hodgdon, drove 100 gr Partitions to 2987 fps from my Kimbers 22" barrel. This wasn`t max in my rifle, but close. Accuracy seems better with R19 and a 100 gr Ballistc tip, vel is similar. Varget was not as accurate as either powder, but drove 100 gr bullets to within 50 fps of the velocities I got with the slower powders.
My rifle prefers 120 gr bullets over the lighter ones and I gave up on them. Others may shoot lighter ones better, you don`t ever know until you try.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
quote:
I'm sure you can get the 4350/100gr combo to work, but vel. will not be where it should be. You could work upto 45gr under a 100grNBT & see how it shoots, but all rifles are diff. & small bores more finicky than med. & large bores IMO.

I can`t agree with this.
47 gr of 4350, IMRs flavor not Hodgdon, drove 100 gr Partitions to 2987 fps from my Kimbers 22" barrel. This wasn`t max in my rifle, but close. Accuracy seems better with R19 and a 100 gr Ballistc tip, vel is similar. Varget was not as accurate as either powder, but drove 100 gr bullets to within 50 fps of the velocities I got with the slower powders.
My rifle prefers 120 gr bullets over the lighter ones and I gave up on them. Others may shoot lighter ones better, you don`t ever know until you try.

Well, all rifles are diff. but my own 260ai favors slightly faster powder for the 110gr bullets. Using RL15 or VV150, 3300fps is obtainable.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Yeah, 4350 would not be my first choice for a 100gr bullet. So why is that a deal breaker for your friend? RL15, IMR4064, VV150 are all better suited to the lighter bullets in 260. I'm sure you can get the 4350/100gr combo to work, but vel. will not be where it should be. You could work upto 45gr under a 100grNBT & see how it shoots, but all rifles are diff. & small bores more finicky than med. & large bores IMO.

Thanks for the input; all! The 4350 is just because we have a boat load of it; and the 100 gr. is that he want's to use it for varmints. But sounds like he may have to try something else. I have most of the powders available so will pass on some of reciepts and have him try them. Any more?

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
48 grains of H-414 with a 100 Ballistic tip gives me 3280 fps ave out of a 22" barrel with excellent accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i also have one in ruger M-77 S.S... mine does not like 4350..or any slow powder.. mine really likes RL-15, with the 100 & 120s.. 42grs with a 120 sierra s.p. 2920 fps. shoots about .75 group at 100 meters.. if i want to shoot heavy, say 140, i might try 4350 again. but, on the light side, im sticking with VARGER, 4064. OR RL-15

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington Mountain Rifle in 260 Rem. It is a shooter. I use 47 grains of RL19 pushing a 120grain Nosler Ballistic tip. This round is much more accurate than I am. I've shot several groups around .25". Probably luck but this is an excellent load for my gun.

typical2