New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I use the Redding Trim Die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
No instructions came with the Redding trim die from MIdway USA, I Bought this just to trim case length. Totally lost w/ this.

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Such dies rarely, if ever, include instructions.

Screw the die down to touch the reaised shell holder. Lube and put a case in and run it up. Use an 8-10 inch mill file to remove any protruding brass. Withdraw, measure the case length and see if it's what you want; tweak the die up or down in small steps to get there.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
got it, thanks, when I take the case out I measure and if I want to be .010 below spec just adjust the die. Thanks

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
file or a small saw if you have a lot to trim, i use the saw when goingfrom22 hornet to 22 squirrel, then run it thru my trimmer... easy stuff

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael b Freeman: What are usesing this die for? They are made to trim cases after forming a cartridge from a different case and the neck is way too long. This would be like makeing 7x57 cases out of 30-06 cases. They are not made for normal case triming were you are taking 0.010" off a neck. If you are useing it after forming, the top of die is super hardened so a normal file will not hurt it. The normal way to uses them is to cut with a saw and then file down to the top of the die. They make saw blades with the teeth flared on just one side so you saw with the flat side against the top of the die and it makes a smoother cut. The case should still be a little long and you finsish on a regular trimer.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote