New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which neck turner Pumkin or k&m?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know which neck turner is better and easier to use? I have 3 different 7mm calibers that I will use it for.
Thanks
Elmer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the K&M neck turner for
years. Great tool.
I can't speak to the Pumpkin. Never had my hands on one.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Elmerdeer-

I have been thinking the same thing as you lately. Which is a better tool? I am considering neck turning for a custom 280 Ackley with a Krieger barrel.

Please forgive me for adding to the discussion, but have you considered the newest Sinclair neck turner using the carbide mandrels?

I have no experience with it either, but I would be curious how it compares to the tried and true units you mentioned above.

Like many people on here, I only like to buy equipment once, so I prefer it to be the best available at the time.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.rwhart.com/store52/agora.cgi
Here is product #
Neck Turning Tool Kit
NTT KIT 1-H27 1-H45 1-H44 BOX AND SHELLHOLDER This kit contains the items you will need to get started on neck turning brass. This kit includes the HART Neck turner, your choice of caliber mandrel, HART caseholder, Redding shellholder with your choice of caliber, and the box to hold these items. you MUST select which mandrel/expander and shellholder you want included below! Link to the Redding Chart is provided for your reference!
$207.47

I turn alot of neck for my tight neck rifles plus clean up neck on some calibers. I've used the Pumkin,K&M,Sinclair (old style)and Hart neck turners.

I normally make my first cut with Sinclair/K&M and finsih cut using the Hart with the mirco dial in fact I have two of them. Pumkin prety nice but it's one that I use for my 6ppc on the finish cut and I just like the Hart's better so sold it.

With the Hart you could easy adjust depth with feeler gauge back off on click slide the guage out reset dial lock in place ready to cut. If your just wanting to clean up 70% of the case neck thickness again easy. I've had the Hart about 15/16yrs now. I've seen picture of the new Sinclair and I think thats a nice one be easy on your hands turning neck. The Pumkin round and you need a good hand to grab and turn it for me was better to put in padded vise and use case holder to turn brass. I never did buy his lathe turner might have work better using that.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the older Sinclair turner and the Pumpkin. The pumpkin is a much better tool than the older Sinclair but the new Sinclair looks and reads well in the catalog.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The round "pumpkin" is not intended to be turned by hand. It is intended to be used with the miniature electric "lathe & collet" which is part of the Nielsen kit. With the lathe (which I have and use regularly), it does a far more precise and smoother job than neck turners where you have to turn the cutter instead of turning the case neck AGAINST the non-rotating cutter.

Another advantage of the pumpkin is that if you follow the directions and learn how to adjust it CORRECTLY, you can easily not only adjust it .0001" at a time, you can actually read and set it to the exact .0001" dimension you actually WANT, with out a lot of "cut-and-try".

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The K&M for small to medium bore and the Sinclair for big bore.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote