New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSX's in 7-08
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used these yet and if so what kind of preformance have you had . I have a new gun on the way with a 24 inch tube and really would like to try these out . Another consideration is the regular x bullet. What are the rest of you guys using? This will be my sheep and goat gun.

Posts: 57 | Location: Long Island NY | Registered: 21 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded the 140 grain Triple Shock in my 7mm mauser with 23" Lothar Walther barrel. I use a stiff load of H414 that gets 2,900 fps (chronographed). This load shoots well under MOA in my rifle.

Have only shot 1 Calfornia pig with it so far. The pig was not very big and it was a full running shot at approx. 50 yards. Complete penetration with a big exit hole. The pig was running full speed from my right to the left. The bullet impact instantly tumbled him away from me and it seemed like he was dead before he hit the ground. No tracking was needed.

My friends claim that I shot the old TV puppet character "Alf"

You be the judge

I would not hesitate to use this on anything you run across in California.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
GREAT Benchrest performance (100 yards)...have not hunted with them yet but I'm counting the days!

I'm shooting a Rem 700 Ti 22" SS Barrel. My best accuracy/velosity has been with 47.7 grains H414 (very near max load in my gun) 200 CCI primers and Winchester cases.
Cannot recall the seat depth (at work) but it is close to 2.750 OAL (bullet seated to the rearward edge of the forward most groove-to insure consistant neck tension/release). At 72* degrees it was clocked at 2889 fps. I have shot 5 three shot groups with this load (before summer, it is around 90* every day now so I have to wait until fall to start shooting again ) and they averaged about 1/2 MOA. Best group has been .39"

I REALLY like the TSX. Nosler Partitions group well in my gun but I can safely drive em to only 2815 fps (Factory Federal Premium Partitions flatten primers in my gun @ 2850 fps). Hornady Interbonds can be pushed to a little over 2900 fps but can't get em to group better than about 1.25"
Good luck and hope this helps.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shumba ....looks like Alf to me !!!
Thanks for the lethality report.

Bigfish...Thank you for the range report. I have taken a 700TI and sent it to Bansners , new Lilja 24" tube, stock,trigger, fireing pin ,trigger guard and the works. He is not done with it yet but I would like to get and Idea on where to start . I have a goat hunt in BC booked for sept.
I am anxious to try the TSX , but I must admit I was a little surprised to hear your nosler report.

Posts: 57 | Location: Long Island NY | Registered: 21 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the TSX's yet, but I put a box of the 120XBT's through my 7-08. I ran out of bullets before I got decent velocities and never did get decent accuracy. I did kill a small forkhorn with it last fall at something under 100 yds. He was bedded in the grass under the bushes. His head and neck were screened by brush and I tried to put one in his chest through the grass. I was a little low and nearly severed one front leg. He got up and I hit him the second time high in the chest. He went down in a cloud of dust. Good wound channel and instant death when the bullet went where it was supposed to. If the TSX's work as well they should be good bullets! Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tim, Looks like you've found an outstanding Load for your rifle. Nice running shot too.

Just curious if you think the Bullet had to go through any weeds/grass before it got to the Hog?

I've found H414 to perform excellently in my 7mm-08 too. Is that the only Powder you tried with the TSXs?

Have you had a chance to shoot the TSXs at any distance beyond 100yds? If so, how did they do on out aways?

Congratulations on the Hog!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote