New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading for a 300 savage?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have inherited a MODEL 99 SAVAGE in 300 savage. My question relates to the fact that I decided to load it for short range hunting of deer down in GA this year. Most of my loading has been for bolt actions and max velocity. I understand that lever guns are different. If you load one a bit hot things get bent and the action may or may not be able to be repaired again. SInce this is my grandfather's gun I do not wish to wreck it. Also since it was his gun I do want to hunt it. I plan to load it down from maximum loads. How much to load down from max? I think some loads are meant to be used in modern bolt guns for high pressure. Suggestions on bullets and loads for deer hunting that will be a bit easy on the old gal? Danke, Wiedmanshiel D

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I am using 42gr of RL-15 and 165gr Hornady Interlocks. Mild load that works great. Speed is around 2500fps. I can go as high as 44grs according to two of my manuals but I see no reason to.

My M99 was made in 1950 and has been in the family since the early 50's.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load mine with 4064 at 2400 fps with a 165gr rem corelok. I have killed will over a dozen deer with it and it works well.

Nice and mild dosen't over tax the gun or shoulder and I haven't had a deer complain yet about killing power.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkIf you are looking for adequate, mild loading for white tail the shorter bullets are best.You don't have to push them as far into the powder room and can take advantage of the extra initial case capacity and reduced peek pressure.

If it offers no feeding problem use the 150 gr. flat point seated out to max.OAL. If there is a feed problem go with a 150gr.psp. A charge of 37.5gr of 4895 should get you about 2350 fps. Mild yet more than enough to get the job done out to 200 yards. I have three 30 cal. rifles that think 30-30 bullets are the Ram's nuts with regard to repeatability.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Hunter:
I have inherited a MODEL 99 SAVAGE in 300 savage. My question relates to the fact that I decided to load it for short range hunting of deer down in GA this year. Most of my loading has been for bolt actions and max velocity. I understand that lever guns are different. If you load one a bit hot things get bent and the action may or may not be able to be repaired again. SInce this is my grandfather's gun I do not wish to wreck it. Also since it was his gun I do want to hunt it. I plan to load it down from maximum loads. How much to load down from max? I think some loads are meant to be used in modern bolt guns for high pressure. Suggestions on bullets and loads for deer hunting that will be a bit easy on the old gal? Danke, Wiedmanshiel D

41.5 gr of 4064 behind a NOSLER 150gr. bal. tip, @ 2675 fps on my chrony have been working great in my dad's .300 Sav. since I got it.
Also use 35 gr. 4064 behind a 125 gr. Nosler bal. tip @ 2200 fps with no felt recoil and it knocks a deer on its ass - like right now !! - at least out to 100yd. - never had a chance to go farther, and the kids love to shoot it.

Posts: 31 | Location: no.va. | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... How much to load down from max? ... Suggestions on bullets and loads for deer hunting that will be a bit easy on the old gal? ...
Hey D, Great old cartridge and a really fine rifle which feels good in your hand carrying it.

The "Rear Lock-Up" can cause Casehead Separations after 2-3 firings if you get them too hot. This is one rifle where using the old Paper Clip Feeler Gauge is really a good idea. Take some Side-Cutters and nip off the wire so it has a chisel edge. Then bend that end into a short-legged " L " shape. Run it in the case mouth and "feel" along the inside of the Case wall where the Pressure Ring is located.

If you can feel it "hang" the case has thinned at that spot and has the potential to separate on you. If that happens, it can Flame Cut the Chamber Wall. So it is best to avoid that situation.

I used to use the old Nosler Solid Base 150gr bullets and 150gr Hornady RNs. For your use in wanting to hold the Recoil down, I'd sure recommend that Hornady RN. It is a 2-diameter bullet which will provide an excellent potential for accuracy and hold the Pressure down as well due to reduced Bore Drag.

Just use any of the starting Loads you see in the Manuals or go to the Hodgdon Site and try the Reduced H4895 Loads. If the shooter can't handle that level of Recoil, then they need to wait until they can.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No real need to go for reduced recoil. I am aware that the 300 savage has been chambered in some bolt action rifles that can stand the same pressure as any other full pressure bolt rifle. On the other hand it is my understanding that you do not want to load lever action rifles to the same pressure levels. One of my friends has a BLR in 308 and had someone borrow it. They used full house plus loads in it and screwed somthing up in the works. I definitely do not want to do this with this rifle. With the loads in the manual are they intended for bolt action rifles or for lever action? I usually use a 7 # 375 and a 416 Rigby so most any recoil from a 300 Savage is not much of an issue. Thanks for your answers so far.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No real need to go for reduced recoil. ... One of my friends has a BLR in 308 and had someone borrow it. They used full house plus loads in it and screwed somthing up in the works.
Hey D, Reminds me of a fellow I grew up with that built some 16ga Loads using the wrong Powder Bushing. He managed to "break" his Dad's Sweet 16 with them, but they had a double barrel that could somehow withstand the abuse.

It sure looks like they just used some HEAVY "Overloads" in the BLR to me. The BLR has a rotary lock-up and is very strong. I'd encourage you to stay far away from them at the Range or when Hunting.

quote:
I definitely do not want to do this with this rifle. With the loads in the manual are they intended for bolt action rifles or for lever action? I usually use a 7 # 375 and a 416 Rigby so most any recoil from a 300 Savage is not much of an issue. Thanks for your answers so far.
Now I understand. The good news is if you follow the Load Recommendations in any of the Bullet or Powder Manufacturers Manuals, you will not hurt the M99. You still need to watch for the Head Separations though.

MAX Loads in the Manuals for the 300SAV are in the 46K CUP range where the 308Win is in the 52K CUP area. And obviously if you use less than the MAX Loads shown, the Pressure is even less.

I hunted with one for a good number of years and enjoyed it a lot. I found the most accurate Loads in mine to be just below Book MAX

I had a M99E which came with the factory finish which looked like dried chocolate milk. As I hunted with it, the finish started looking pretty ratty due to fighting the Man-Eating Briers and such stuff. Stripped the finish off and found a beautiful stock of Beech(or Birch) and refinished it with good old Birchwood-Casey "Tru Oil". Then it looked so good another guy wanted it so bad he couldn't stand it, so I traded it off.

Just stick with the Powder and Bullet Manual loads and you won't have any problem with hurting the old Savage.
---

One other thing you could do is just shoot Factory Ammo in it. Sometimes it shoots well and sometimes it doesn't, but you would also get some once-fired cases in the process.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D. Hunter: Like you, I recently acquired an older (1939) Savage Model 99 and wanted to hunt deer with it. I simply fired a couple of factory 150 grain loads over the chronograph, then started loading with BL-C2 until I approximately matched their velocity (about 2550, as I recall). You can use the same method with whatever your favorite medium-burning powder is: 4895, 4065, RL-15, Varget, or whatever. As long as you hold your velocity to the 2500 range, you'll be fine. Besides, the slightly springy 99 action will let you know (by sticky extraction and refusal to allow a fired case to re-enter the chamber) of marginally high pressure long before there gets to be a safety issue.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I use 43 grns H4895 and 130 XLC's. They chrony at around 2750 out of my Rem 760 w/ 22" bbl. They group about an inch at 100 yards which is about as good as that rifle will do for me. Hope to try them on whitetails here on the palouse this fall. Probably didn't need the coated versions but I got 3 boxes for $18 on clearance.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote