Find
Notify
Tools

Good dealers in Washington DC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
will be visiting Washington DC next week and hope to buy an RCBS "Chargemaster COMBO" there amongst other stuff. Any well-stocked dealers there you can recommend?

Regards
Goran

Regards
Goran

Browning BAR II Safari .338WM
Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Blaser ES80 cal. 12/.222Rem
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since not a lot of people are jumping in to respond, I suggest you Google guns in Maryland and Virginia. There's virtually nothing in DC proper.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GE:
Hi,
will be visiting Washington DC next week and hope to buy an RCBS "Chargemaster COMBO" there amongst other stuff. Any well-stocked dealers there you can recommend?

Regards
Goran

I am keeping a close watch on your thread Big Grin
I will be in Baltimore MD 16th - 22nd and plan on doing some gun shoping also dancing

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun shops there are... but reloading components can be a problem. The Bass Pro Shops sells some... There was a pretty good gun shop in Rockville(near DC), Maryland but I really don't remember the name. An easier way is probably to google websites like Barnes or Hornady and get a list of their dealers and go from there.....

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goran, are you not from the US by any chance?? (Would any US gun owner go to DC to buy gun related items??).

If yes, and if a Chargemaster Combo is what you are after (plus whatever other stuff), consider ordering on the Internet and having it shipped to your DC hotel. It will be there when you show up. Not only would this option provide you with better choice, you'd also get better prices (balance shipping costs with local tax you'd have to pay if shopping locally).

Again, assuming you are not from the US, make sure you get the Chargemaster in a voltage (e.g. 110 vs. 220) matching what your home country offers. Both Sinclair and Midsouth sell 220V versions - albeit at slihtly higher prices than the regular (for the US) 110V version.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Marion Barry knows quite a few dealers in D.C. Can get you virtually anything illegal you want, or tell you where to get it there. Most anything related to reloading, however, is commonly available at a few big box retailers farther away at a premium price for the most part, or somewhat more reasonably via the internet.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, coming in from Sweden. The internet-to-hotel is an idea though... Have e-mailed BassPro in Baltimore and said "get a Chargemaster there by next week and I'll buy it, period" but so far no response. Had the same problem in Orlando Florida, no shops with stock. I am a little amazed, i mean, USA the land of ultra shopping and you can't find any good dealers???

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"get a Chargemaster there by next week and I'll buy it, period"

I'm not too surprised you didn't hear back.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
There are many good gun dealers in maryland and Virginia. Washington is very anti anything comcerning firearms. Sherlock has the right of it, anything illegal is available on most street corners. The Bass Proshop store in Arundel Mills (Baltimore) was pretty well stocked with most everything the last time I was there. There are some really good gun shops in the Baltimore area. Good Luck finding what you need.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best price for a Chargemaster is MidSouth Shooters Supply NOT Bass Pro Shops and heir shipping is pretty good. I bought one from them.

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004498924

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo

There was a pretty good gun shop in Rockville(near DC), Maryland but I really don't remember the name.

Atlantic Guns. They have two stores, one in Rockville, MD, and one in Silver Spring, MD.

There is nothing in Washington, DC, itself.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tombo,
thanks for the link, they do ship international. Hope its not the usual story with insane shipping costs and fees...

"Barrels, bullets, brass, powders, primers, ammunition, muzzleloaders, air guns and frames are all regulated by United States export laws."

I find that bullets and brass needs export licenses pretty strange! What are "frames"? Do they mean stocks?

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LE270,
Atlantic Guns seems interesting, close to the center of Washington, will call them.

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem...but you will save a large amount of money by having it shipped to your hotel and carrying it back in your luggage. As far as frames, I do not know, but I would guess they mean pistol frames and possibly rifle receivers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GE:
Have e-mailed BassPro in Baltimore and said "get a Chargemaster there by next week and I'll buy it, period" but so far no response.

Attention: any Chargemaster you'll find in stock in a US store will be 110 V. You want a 220 V unit (assuming you want to use it in Sweden). OK, the difference is probably only in the external power supply, but I'll bet once you had had to upgrade to a new power supply at RCBS list prices, it would have been cheaper to buy on the Internet - where you can get a 220V unit, if you look close enough.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up MHO, I'm an electronic engineer so it will probably sort it self out! Wink

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Go for it, then.
- mike

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GE:
I find that bullets and brass needs export licenses pretty strange! What are "frames"? Do they mean stocks?

"Frames" - another term for receivers - the serially-numbered comonent of a firearm to which barrels and stocks are attached to make a firearm.

These serially-numbered parts are the only component of firearms that are regulated by Federal law. You can buy any part of a gun you desire, except for the receiver. To buy the receiver, you have to fill out the Federal purchase form and go thru the background check.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that starting place is to make reservations for your stay where the management will accept and hold commercial packages for you. Then get smart on what you can fly home with and what is not allowed. Then order by internet for appropriate delivery and get out to the shooting ranges, historical sites, natural attractions, or what have you. For example a cowboy shoot, Camp Perry in season, LRBPRC shoot, Machine Gun shoot, Civil War skirmish, Gettysburg Battlefield, 1000 yard Range, Rondeveau, Broadway show, and so on.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typical, Midsouth wouldnt accept my "foreign VISA on my first order". Sure CC fraud is a problem but really...

Atlantic Guns:
"Will stop selling reloading equipment"...

Is there some kind of curse here!?

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sherlock,
will be staying at a Best Western in Manassas, VA, about 30 miles west of DC center. Any recommendations for that area?

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

one of us
posted Hide Post
GE, the North-South Skirmish Association is hosting the Spring national shoot just a few miles north of Winchester, Va, from the 13th through the 20th. A wide range of individual shoots, team events for carbine, musket, pistol, cannon, and mortar team events all in Civil War uniform is happening. See www.n-ssa.org. Likely 40+ original cannons lined up, original and new, shooting 200 yard targets on saturday and probably a 3/8 mile long, shoulder to shoulder skirmish line for musket @ 50 & 100 yards on sunday.See the website, specifically under suttlers, then Backwoods gunshop site for a map. The organization site has the schedule and further info. I am going tomorrow(tues.). Guests are welcome. As close as you can ever get to our American Civil War. Food and day visit amenities there, along with vendors. See You there. ned

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go you can ask at check in For directions to the Rowan Artillery camp site, ask for Me, Pvt. Tony, I be around somewhere but checking in at camp frequently. I'd be happy to show you around. Its roughly 50-60 miles from Manassas, you'll need a car, but easy enough to find.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS! there is a nice gunshop at the intersection of highways 15 and 17 just a few miles south of Warrenton which is only a fer miled from Manassas. "CLARKS" is the name I recall , I go by it on my way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds interesting enough! I'll see how my schedule develops, I am actually going to DC in business but it's unclear how much and where for the moment. Hoping for at least two days off. Will rent a car and checked with MAP24.COM and its 41 miles from the hotel, i.e. no problem.

Called Clark's, no Chargemaster. Searched for dealers on RCBS's homepage and got 29 on a 50 mile radius...

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Silver Spring, MD and know both of the Atlantic Gun shops in Silver Spring and Rockville. I worked only three blocks from their Silver Spring shop. I will tell you that they are very very pricey. You can do much better by mail order.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, back in Sweden now. Made that RCBS dealer list a combined shopping and sight-seeing list in DC, Virginia and Maryland together with a rented Garmin navigator. Drove some 500+ miles. Got to say that most of the shops are pretty guns+ammo only plus the usual acc. such as swivels. Reloading doesn't seem to be that popular judging from the stores, maybe most of you order by mail?

Visited Clark's, nice old shop, pretty good selection, funny to see that shooting range immediately at the back with shots cracking as you shop! Best one I found was Dawson's in Woodbridge, VA, nice new shop, large selection and almost a Chargemaster, they had the scale.
Ended up in residential areas a few times, guess a few ordered directly from RCBS and stated "Buck's Gun Shop" or something as customer and ended up to be listed as a dealer.

Anyway, got a tip from RCBS to use Graf&Sons http://www.grafs.com/ they do ship internationally and the Chargemaster is under $300.

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For any1 interested, I finally got a hold of a RCBS CM in Los Angeles, thank you "Fowlers Gun Room"/"The Stockade" for the over-night express shipping service, one of the best stocked gun's/ammo stores I've visited so far. Filled my bullet supply so it will last for a "while"! Wink

The CM meets all expectations I had, recommends it. FYI, got the 110VAC version but it was a simple operation to make a 9VDC power supply for it to match the 220VAC power supply here.

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! It was a long search. I really like my Chargemaster also..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, had the fortune to visit the US for work three times since February so it was a good bonus!

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best price for a Chargemaster is MidSouth Shooters Supply NOT Bass Pro Shops and heir shipping is pretty good. I bought one from them.

Better yet, try this;

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=RC98923

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, looks lika a real get-rid-of-stock price.

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12