New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x57 brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a 6.5x57 being put together right now so i need to get ready to load for it. i've found 6.5x57 brass....RWS for about a buck apiece and hirtenberger for about $63.00/100. can i make my own brass from 6mm rem or 257 rob cases? i have a full length sizing die on the way. i'm hoping i can just run 6mm rem cases into a 6.5x57 die, trim, and fireform in my new gun. thanks for any help on this...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Use 7x57 brass - it is easiest because it gives you a bit of shoulder to account for the extra shoulder length of the 6.5x57. (I presume you have a 6.5x57 not a 6.5-257.) This has worked for me just fine. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62....thanks for the response. please excuse my ignorance on this one. so, i can just run a 7x57 case into a 6.5x57 die, trim, load and fireform? if there is anything more to it than this, please let me know. thanks again...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

can i make my own brass from 6mm rem or 257 rob cases? bud

Yes, or from 7X57mm brass, which would allow you to form a "secondary shoulder" on the neck for precise headspacing when you fire-form it to your chamber. You just screw your FL die in a little at a time, keep trying to chamber the case until you get it sized to where you can just barely close the bolt, then lock the die in that position. Size all brass this way, then load.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
eldeguello...thanks, i appreciate the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use 8x57, 7x57, 6mm Rem, and 257 Robts by necking them up or down...They all work just fine. you need to expand the 6mm to 25 then 6.5 and its usually best to go one step beyond and then back down to 6.5 using plenty of lub in the process...

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks ray