New
Find
Notify
Tools

VARGET - which primers?
 Login/Join

<wksinatl>
posted
I am loading for a Jeff Hicks built SWS in .308. Other than the standard "try them all" answer, do you guys have better results with a certain primer using VARGET? I know GREEN788 is convinced that the CCI BR2's are the way to go. I aleady have some 210m's and WLR's and will try them. How 'bout it guys?

BTW, I will be using Lapua brass, both 168gr J4's and 168gr MK's, and 175gr MK's.

Thanks for your replies, Keith

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
The only way to know for sure is to try some tests with the ones you have, but, in my .308 700 VSSF, which is capable of the accuracy level needed to determine small degrees of improvement, Dan's right - the BR 2's definitely produce smaller groups when Varget is the powder.

BR4's also produced smaller groups when using Varget in the 223.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<PTShooter03>
posted
"Most" of the folks using Varget in .308's to 1000 yards will use the F210M's or the WLR's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith,

You might email these people, Australian Defence Industries (ADI), who make Varget. In Australia it is called ADI 2208.

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/

The 308 is used a lot in Australia for various forms of target shooting.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike--that's a need guide--what else do they make for other people? Do you know what 2218 corresponds to??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kraky,

2205 is H4227 Extreme
2207 is H4198 Extreme

2206 is like 3031 but I don't think Hodgdon sell it

2208 is Varget
2209 is H4350
2213SC is H4831SC
2217 is H1000
2218 is 50 BMG

I think Retumbo is an updated version of what we use to have as 2214.

Several of the Hodgdon shotgun and pistol powders are ADI as well.

There is also Benchmark 1 and Benchmark 2. Hodgdon sell Benchmark 2 but just call it Benchmark. Benchmark 1 is a bit quicker than 4198 and Benchmark 2 is a bit slower than 4198 but quicker than 3031.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
COOL!!! ANOTTHER CROSS REFERENCE!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Keith, the other guys seem to prefer the BR2 primers for use with Varget. However, in my guns at least, I have had better success when using Fed 210M primers. (This in a 7mm-08, a 7-30 Waters, and a several 22-250's). Not that the BR2's or WLR primers were not pretty close, but the Federal match primer gave the smallest groups in most cases.

Good Luck, R F [Razz]

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I use Rem 91/2 in my 708 Rem with Varget. They seem to give me good velocity and the SD is normally very good when useing them. My 2nd choice with this round and powder is the WLR.

wksinatl, this is in an Hicks built sporter. Its not one of his tactical jobs but it shoots very well.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
It's going to take a 1/4 to 1/2 MOA rifle to see the CCI BR-2 advantage with the Varget. Every shooter who has tested my Varget powered .308 match loads at www.snipershide.com has found the same results: CCI BR's tighten the groups.

Most folks make the mistake of loading too light with Varget, and with low load densities, any number of primers can give you sub MOA loads. Sub MOA, but beatable.

I've seen people use 42 to 44 grains of Varget with the 168 grain match bullets. That's not enough powder for optimal load density. Many of these shooters have reverted back to IMR 4064, believing that the Varget wouldn't perform.

Get the load density up, and use the CCI BR's, and you're going to be amazed at the consistency of these loads.

In a tight shooting tactical rifle, using the proper Varget recipes (45.0 grains with the 175 grain Sierra Matchking, and 46.0 grains with the 168 grain Sierra Matchkings) the CCI BR's will knock 1/4 MOA or more off the group size.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use CCI BR's in my "precision" loads (223 bolt, 308, etc). I use Winchesters (WLR & WSR) in my "hunting" (7mm-08, etc) and "High Power" (223 thru my AR-15, etc)loads. Why the difference? Don't know. Any noticeable difference on paper? Not to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green 788:
Most folks make the mistake of loading too light with Varget...

I've seen people use 42 to 44 grains of Varget with the 168 grain match bullets. That's not enough powder for optimal load density...

In a tight shooting tactical rifle, using the proper Varget recipes (45.0 grains with the 175 grain Sierra Matchking, and 46.0 grains with the 168 grain Sierra Matchkings)...

Dan-

I load 41 grs of Varget behind 168 gr SMK's in LC Match brass & regularly shoot sub-1/2 MOA groups (5 shots). I've tried heavier charges, and accuracy slipped a bit.

I guess every rule is made to be broken. [Smile]

<green 788>
posted
Have you chronographed those 41 grain Varget loads? I would imagine they're on the slow side of 2500 fps. With the LC cases, you'd probably need to get to just a shade over 45 grains with the 168's for optimal charge weight. This should give you a velocity of about 2700 fps from a 24" barrel, which would allow you to get closer to 1000 yards with that bullet.

For a low recoiling, 300 yard load, I can't argue with your recipe. If it works, it works!

Dan