THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.277 diameter, What is your favorite bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
What is your favorite .277 diameter BULLET and what cartridge do you shoot it in and at what velocity & for what purpose?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
140 Nosler Accubond at 3,100 ft/secs in 26" Ruger #1, for deer and other suitable game.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
140 gr TSX, 3150 fps, Deer, antelope and hogs

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler 140 grain Partition out of my .270 WSM at 3200 fps.

The gun is so new I have not shot anything with it but one hog. (Actually shot with the 140 Accubond). However, it is so very accurate that I have high hopes for it. It shoots pretty close to a half inch at 100 yards with the partition. Based on the performance I have seen from the 130 Partition in my dad's 270 Winchester on deer, hogs, and antelope, I would expect this 140 in the WSM to do well.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own five 270's and I don't have a favorite bullet. But this fall I am going to try and shoot a deer or antelope with each rifle. I want to use a different bullet for each one.

Going to start with the 110gr TSX and go all the way up to a 160gr Nosler Partition.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
270 Win

130gr Nosler Part, 3050fps Antelope & Deer.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
150 grain Hornady interlok spire point for elk on down.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 140BTSP

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
130 gr Nosler Solid Base 3100fps deer and the like

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
130 NBTs have been great shooters and good on whitetail.

140 ABs sure looking promising as well. At least on paper.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
140 gr. Failsafe wetting on top of 59 gr. of H4831 in a 270WCF. Works for me. I carry this in deer country when an elk could get in the way.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the .270 WSM for some months now and previous to this weekend my rifle liked the 140 grain Barnes TSX or the 140 grain Nosler Combined Tech Failsafe uncoated bullets best with the occasional one hole group. It also liked a 130 grain North Fork extremely well. This weekend I started playing with a 130 grain Barnes TSX and discovered something very interesting. Saturday I shot my first load and got 3464 fps with two shots in the same hole and the other within 1.5 inchs. I thought that is really fast and probably will be one of those slinging groups. Sunday I loaded up some more loads and shot two groups. The first averaged 3456 fps and accuracy about like the first shooting. I am still amazed at the speed and thought one more group will tell me something. This final group was very near one hole (two shots squeezed into one hole and the third 1/4 inch away) group at 3467 fps. My Chronograph is an old tried and true Oehler 35P so I am not doubting it, but I still am awed by the accuracy and speed of this load. wave thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Re the tsx's. I have seen the same phenominon as Phurley as far as velocity goes. I've tried them in alot of guns and they ALMOST ALWAYS go faster than other bullets of the same weight. I don't know what to make of this....I don't believe in a free ride...and therefore believe that they are MAKING MORE PRESSURE and not less. It scares the dickens out of me when I see information that "loaders can often work up another grain or two above regular barnes data".
BE VARY WARY WHEN WORKING WITH THESE BULLETS...the rings (I DO BELIEVE) are not making less friction and pressure.
I'd sure love to see some pressure data with a real strain gauge on these buggers.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
130 gr Nosler Solid Base 3100fps deer and the like

These are great bullets that are now once again available (some of the time) from Nosler. My Sako .270 Winchester has a "fast" barrel and zips these along at 3200 fps. The consummate deer load.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308Sako: I have been using the wonderful and wonderfully accurate Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips in my 270 for the last 4 seasons.
PERFECT field performance, flat shooting, speedy and again I can't stress to much amazing lethality on Deer and Antelope.
I can't wait to get afield with this combo this fall!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Nosler 140 Accubond at 3150 from a .270 WSM. I get .25 MOA.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
130 TSX
3180fps
.270Win
Palouse Prairie white-tailed deer.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
270 Winchester
140 BTSP Hornady interlock
2,900 feet/sec
Mostly deer.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I also experienced VERY high velocities with the 130 gr. TSX using 68 gr. of RL-19. Got average of 3425 fps and some excellent groups. However, I agree with kraky, that kind of velocity CAN NOT be free! Bolt lift was pretty stiff, so I dropped back to 67 gr. (still got 3290 fps on my 35P) and my best (3) shot group was 0.30" at 100 yds.!!! Bolt lift was still a little stiff, but not bad. I too would like to see some actual pressures with this load. The 140 gr. Accubond also did very well in my rifle with 60.5 gr. of IMR-4350 (MAX.) at 3110 fps and groups from 0.37" to 0.85" at 100 yds.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coltchris- Are you loading 68 grains of powder in a 270 case? sofa

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Pegleg: NO, its a 270 WSM.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
140gr Accubonds from 270WSM @ 3200ft/s, Retumbo powder, under 1/2" groups and factory Winchester Supreme Accubond CT's @ 5/8". Taking everything down with 1 shot kills-elk/moose/deer between 100 to 450 yrds. This liitle caliber has sure surprised me.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote