New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Reloading tips requested
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
buy a good scale, hornady, rcbs, redding and check weights rcbs sells them. a lee press and dies a lee case trimer and lee priming tool, spray lube, and 2 manuals. after you have loaded ammo for a while you will have a better idea on what you want to change or upgrade too. powder measure, press(the lee makes a good second press if you go to a different press), 6" calipers, etc., ect. i ended up reloading just to use the equipment.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would give sierra a call ! They have a vidio for begining reloaders, order the vidio and ask what equipment they are using and buy the same ...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mehul...
I would add the Lyman manual as a very good primer on handloading. In that regard I think there is none better.

Budget and shooting needs will determine which equipment is "best." When I firsts began I loaded for only one cartridge and didn't plan on more than a thousand rounds per year through it. At that point the Lee Kit was a good investment.

Since then I've been loading for a greater assortment of cartridges (and in greater volume) so a RCBS turret press is now on the bench. I've been using Redding dies as I have been looking to get more than "hunting accuracy" out of my loads.

I'm assuming you are going into handloading so that you won't be limited by the anemic assortment of commercial 8MM ammo for hunting purposes. The Lee Kit would work well for that.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Start out by getting a couple reloading manuals and reading them word for word. RCBS and Lee both offer reloading guides that would be quite helpful to a beginner or a person who has some experience. The later of the two is less likely to read it as carefully though.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends,

I am the worst combination of a technically challenged man and someone who is all thumbs to boot. I would like to get into reloading and while I plan on attending the classes that Gander Mountain conducts here in Appleton, would like advice for someone as clumsy as me to get started - books, equipment etc.

I have just one rifle, an 8x57 Mauser sporter made on a military action with a custom stock and barrel.

Thanks and good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote