Find
Notify
Tools

lee zip trim???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
does anyone have one of these and are they any good, they don't look like the typical trimmer.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CC ,
The Lee zip trimmer works on the same principle as their other trimmers . The difference is that with their standard trimmers you use a cordless drill as your drive whereas the Zip trimmer incorporates a small electric drive unit .
I have the standard type and find them cheap , quick and effective . Better than the hand driven unit I once used that's for sure .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey CC

I assume we are talking about one of these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=515804

Yes, I am on my second one now. The first one lasted about 1,000 rounds and the minute it broke I was on the net ordering another one. Mine is mounted on a piece of 2x4 and I clamp it in my vise when I'm using it. It's fast and easy to use and I perform case trimming, mouth chamfering, and case cleaning at the same time. Some reloaders use and electric drill instead but I like the Zip Trim.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IINM, the lee zip trimmer is hand powered, like a recoil starter on a lawnmower. I don't think it is electric powered. I don't have one, but it seems like it would beat hand spinnning for a lot of brass. I use the regular lock-stud with shell holder in a stubby 1/4" nut driver handle. I spin the cutter, not the shellholder.

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
IINM, the lee zip trimmer is hand powered, like a recoil starter on a lawnmower. I don't think it is electric powered.

Andy

Sorry , guess that's why they call it a zip trimmer . I thought it was electric .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
IINM, the lee zip trimmer is hand powered, like a recoil starter on a lawnmower. I don't think it is electric powered.

Andy

Sorry , guess that's why they call it a zip trimmer . I thought it was electric .

Just used mine last night.

Slicker n snot ona doorknob thumb

Two quick pulls to trim, one to inside champher, one to outside champher. Viola' yer done.

Probably takes less than 2 seconds plus a few more seconds to remove the finished case and insert a new one.

I now trim all of my cases just before priming them. It probably doesn't take much more time to trim them than it would to measure them.

The cutting mandrels make a good gage. Sometimes there is no cutting action as the cases are right @ spec. Even then I deburr the mouthes. As I said it makes a good gage.

And ifin ya want the brass to really look good, wrap some 000 steel wool around the case and give er a few more pulls.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure exactly all the things I need to make one work, let me see if I am correct, you need the 3 jawed chuck, cartridge length gauge, cutter, is there anything else??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee trimming system in an ordinary 1/4 inch electric drill -- not a cordless one. I think that this is the greatest trimming system ever devised.

In order to operate it, besides the drill, you need a Lee Case Length Gauge and shell holder -- you need a different case length gauge for each different cartridge you load for.

You also need a Cutter and Lock Stud -- you need only one of those because the same one is used for every cartridge.

The Lee Zip Trimmer is a substitute for the electric drill. I think the electric drill is a better idea, but if you are loading in a place where you don't have access to electrical power, it would make sense.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:

And ifin ya want the brass to really look good, wrap some 000 steel wool around the case and give er a few more pulls.

Hey wj

I used to use steel wool and it does a good job, but I found a better way, IMO. I spread a line of Flitz on the case and take one of those foam pads they put in the top of Triple Shock bullet boxes and spread it around while spinning it. Then take a rag and spin it and clean it off and it really sparkles. More than the looks, it also puts down a protective layer on the case to keep the fingerprints and oxidation down.

quote:

I use the Lee trimming system in an ordinary 1/4 inch electric drill

LE270, the point on the case length gauge is engineered to bear on the anvil on the Zip Trim to give proper trim length. What do you use to substitute so you don't trim too much?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:

LE270, the point on the case length gauge is engineered to bear on the anvil on the Zip Trim to give proper trim length. What do you use to substitute so you don't trim too much?

The Lock Stud performs exactly the same function.

The shell holder threads onto the lock stud, and the case is put into that shell holder and then tightened onto the Lock Stud. The other end of the lock stud goes into the chuck of the electric drill, and the whole assembly including the brass case is spun by the drill. The case length gauge, with cutter attached(this is not spun, but is kept stationary so the case is cut to proper length by being spun against the cutter) is put through the mouth of the case, and the case is trimmed until the pin of the case length gauge strikes the anvil of the lock stud, thus giving proper trim length.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:

I used to use steel wool and it does a good job, but I found a better way, IMO. I spread a line of Flitz on the case and take one of those foam pads they put in the top of Triple Shock bullet boxes and spread it around while spinning it. Then take a rag and spin it and clean it off and it really sparkles. More than the looks, it also puts down a protective layer on the case to keep the fingerprints and oxidation down.

I do something similar, except that I saturate a piece of cloth with Remington Bore Shine and wipe the spinning case with that. This shines the case outside. Then, while the case is still spinning, I use a dry cotton swab (Q-tip) on the inside of the case neck to remove any case lube that remains inside the neck after the sizing process.

I use Lee Case Lube, which is wax-based instead of oil-based, so there is much less danger of oil getting into the primer or powder from the case lube.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks LE

I understand now. I haven't tried it with the drill but it seems like it would be more awkward that way - maybe not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ok so do you need the 3 jaw universal chuck or the shell holder or both?? to make this work.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
cc

You don't have to have the 3 jaw universal chuck, it replaces the shell holders. At first I didn't like it, then I had to use it because I couldn't find the shell holder for the caliber I was working on.

But, after using it a while, I became used to it and now I use it for all calibers.

Just like you don't have to have the ball grip

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=136199

but it makes it easier.

posted Hide Post
Does the lock stud come with the lee zip trim? Thanks

Posts: 19 | Location: florida | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
I am not sure exactly all the things I need to make one work, let me see if I am correct, you need the 3 jawed chuck, cartridge length gauge, cutter, is there anything else??

If you do indeed buy the "Zip Trim" you will have all that you need except for the appropriate shell holder, cutter and cartridge specific length gage.

The cutter works for ALL cartridges, the shell holder for any cartridges with a given head size. (.473 for example) but the gage is cartridge specific.

The "Zip Trim" is merely a very fast and convenient way to "spin" the cases. I like mine so much, it is srewed directly to the top of my loading bench.

As I said, I always trim now that I have a Zip Trim, it is that easy.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dennis duke:
Does the lock stud come with the lee zip trim? Thanks

There is a lock stud on the Zip Trim that you screw the 3 jaw universal chuck onto or the shell holder that comes with the case length guage.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I use the regular Lee Case Trimmer with the part holding the shell holder chucked up in a variable speed drill. works great.

As for deburring, I use the regular deburring tool sparingly.

Lee Case Trimmer

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also heard of folks just chucking up the Lee cutter and pilot/guage in a drill press and holding the case down against the metal table, no shellholder or anything. Make sure the hole in the table is not lined up with the pilot!

Andy

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote