Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

110 gr V-Max in .270 Win???
 Login/Join

posted
I would be interested in what some good loads would be for the 110 gr V-Max out of a 22 inch .270 Winchester. This combinatin if pushed at a relatively high velocity actually is a very flat shooting round, even in comparison with 140 gr bullets of higher BCs, velocity wins out. Some manuals are showing ~3400 fps so I wasn't sure if this is attainable. I don't reload yet, but do a lot of research when I can, and this combo will probably push me over the edge considering it is real flat shooting and I can get 100 bullets for 17 bucks.

I'm thinking they'd be great for doing a lot of shooting with, and I actually don't see why they wouldn't work for neck shots on our smallish hill country deer....plus varmints/coyotes.

Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

-Conrad

Posts: 27 | Location: TX | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I hunted deer in the Hill Country with the 270 Sierra 90 gr HP for a long time. The biggest deer I shot was a 210 lb Axis buck, He was facing a way and turned to look at me behind him. One round through the vertebrae of his neck dropped him like a stone.

I used W760 for 3600 fps with that little pill, mostly for coyote. It hit hard spine on the Axis and still exited that thick neck.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra's Number 5 manual lists RL 19 with a charge of 59.6 grains for an MV of 3300 fps as there most accurate for their 110 grain SP.....

Depending on your rifle... if you want a little more velocity... I think Re 19 is safe to work up beyond that... but don't do so, unless you know what you are doing and embrace the fact that you are now over a load manuals listings....

But I work up beyond on some load manuals posted loads....and find that they are still below SAAMI pressure specs.....

On the other end, I have a few instances where I have worked up loads that would fall short several grains of what was listed as max in reload manuals but they were max and then some in my rifles.....

Ya just have to decide if the extra 100 or 150 fps is worth the risk.. I Usually don't think so.. and don't think so If the reloader has not got a LOT of experience....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys Smiler. I'm mostly interested in this round because I can get some good bullets for cheap and shoot a lot. I don't need max speeds, but was interested if the posted 3400 fps was safely attainable or not...mainly because I do want to be safe. If it is, it's a pretty flat shooting round.

Posts: 27 | Location: TX | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote