THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is H4831 and IMR 7828 being discontinued?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I'm wondering if the standard long kernal powder such as H4831, IMR 7828 and IMR 4831 are going to be discontinued and replaced with the short cut stuff with the same number designation? I noticed that IMR doesn't list regulat 7828 on their web site anymore.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Email them and ask.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H4831SC is loaded to the same measures as the regular stuff. Moves through powder measures easier. I suspect it will be discontinued when Pelosette outlaws reloading...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope not as in my RCBS Uniflow I get too many "bridges" with the SC version of H4831 that I've stopped using it. Apparently thye standard long grain is coated with graphite but the SC vesion isn't.

They are of course not actually the same powder at all as the SC is a totally different powder that just happens in its kernel size to have the same burn rate as real H4831.

But of course we all know that before someone asks if they are still going to make SC why can't they just cut it longer....

I think that SC is actually an Australian made powder?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that SC is actually an Australian made powder?

The SSC version of IMR 7828 is made at the IMR plant in Canada. Not sure about the H4831SC version, although the last track I had of the regular H4831 version it was coming from ADI in Australia.

I'm delighted with IMR 7828 SSC. It makes both my .25-06 and .300 H&H shoot "long and narrow". Now if we could just buy it for $1 a pound like the old surplus 4831 Wink

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I certainly hope not, I like the long grain better than the short cut version.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote