New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Match brass......SWEEEET!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't know if you guys have seen it but many suppliers are carrying hornady brass in red boxes of 50. I got a couple boxes of 50 for my 300wby. A bargain at about $23 for a box of 50. I've done some experimenting with the brass and last night loaded up 25 virgin rounds to go to AK with 165 northfork bullets. Basically I got them out of the box and plunged them over my lyman "m" die, did a low angle inside mouth chamfer and loaded the 25 rounds. The results are.....

18 loaded rounds with .0015 or less runnout
4 loaded .0025 or less
3 loaded under .0035 runnout.

Pretty hard to beat that plus every (and I mean every) round felt exactly the same when seated. Not like some other new brass where one round seats hard all the way, the next one normal, and the next one starts hard but then gets easy as seated etc etc. Runnout would probably have been even better except for the tiny dings in the ooutside of the cases that you always get with unfired brass--they show a false reading as you roll them on the dial indicator.
These seem to have the same case capacity as remington brass so I had to load slightly lighter....maybe rem makes them to really strict standard for Hornady.

Anyhow just wanted to let you guys know how good this was for me.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kraky:
I think Hornady ought to send you at least one free box of 50 for that glowing review.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll take it...bottom line is rem brass is just a tad cheaper but much more work to get in shape and I just hate paying $1 ea for the real thing (weatherby brass) although it is good stuff too.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Hornady ought to send you at least one free box of 50 for that glowing review.

I agree.
I'm taking the kids Moms credit card to work tomorrow.Internet,here I come.

Thanks,kraky Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
lol

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote