THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on 35 cal Sierra 225 gr bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Opinions on 35 cal Sierra 225 gr bullet?

Will it hold up on big game (hogs, elk, bears) at 2600-2700 fps or so? Any actual experience on game with it?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi from just up the road in Riverton. After many a year waiting I drew my moose license last fall and hunted with a 35Whelen and used 225gr gamekings @2560fps. I shot a big mature bull in the Salt River drainage; too far from the truck. The bullet broke a rib on the way in on a quartering away shot and exited the far shoulder, so wasn't recovered. The moose went about 50 yards before he piled up. The wound channel was a couple inches and exit wound the same. I can't think of any reason not to use the Sierra. That much lead moving at that speed is bound to do some serious damage; "premium bullet" or not.

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pharmpoke,
Whats your E Mail addy? I need to talk with you if you don't mind on the moose thing. My E mail is mtnhtr1@aol.com Thanks.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Pop,
I've hunted and target shot these in 4 different 358 wincheasters... and they are usaully both the fastest and most accurate. After hunting them for about 10 years, I've decided that anything ni north america, that is suitable for a 2500fps bullet would be well served with this gameking.

enjoy em
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a nice moose (50" spread) at 13 paces broadside, heartshot, with this bullet. The bull swapped directions and I shot him again, same place other side. This happened as fast as I could work the bolt. Then he fell over on the spot.

I was shooting a .35 Whelen Improved and the chronyied velocity was 2800 fps. Both bullets were recovered while butchering and both were classic mushrooms. They did their job well...the chest cavity was completely liquified. (But they also missed any bones.) Meat damage was minimal.
Jerry/AK

Posts: 575 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I developed a good load for my 35 Wheelen using a 225gr Sierra Boatail. I plan to use it on Black Bear this September at our place in Maine: www.Bowlincamps.com Black Bears are not that tough and at as long as velocity stays under 2500 fps or so, I'l be ok. My rifle absolutely loves this bullet so I'll be using Sierras to hunt with for the first time, Idiots here notwithstanding that villified me for my criticism of Sierras. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx Fellas [Wink]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP, what are you shooting that will push one that speed??

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Rem 673 350 Rem Mag [Wink]