New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullseye ate my Uniflow.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, not exactly. I dimly recall reading about one propellant or another etching a powder measure, but I don't recall which brand.
Anyway I had been using up a couple of pounds of "old" Bullseye over the last few months in my RCBS Ammomaster Progressive, loading 45 ACP and 9mm Luger, so it took a while to use up the powder with 4.2 grain throws. I just kept adding fresh powder when I ran low. I thought the granules clinging to the wall of the Uniflow measure were just being held on with a bit of static. I finally used up the Bullseye the other day and tried to shake the graunles off the wall. No go! I thought I'd push them down, but then I found the granules had embeded themselves into the plastic.
The plastic had a soft layer on it just like you might get if you put acetone, or thinner etc on it. So, I scraped the granules off and washed the plastic cylinder in hot soapy water, and all appears to be OK, except that the wall of the Uniflow is a little opaque.
Does anybody have any similar stories? I know 700-X and HS-6 won't do this to Uniflow plastic. What other powders destroy plastic? If I use any old Bullseye I'll be sure to empty the measure between reloading sessions.
Cheers, Cheeky.

Posts: 40 | Location: Pacific North West U.S.A. | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had the same problem. I now dump it all back into the powder canister.

Posts: 59 | Location: Soledad, CA USA | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yup.... An old Ideal 55. Had to put a new hopper on it. sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullseye is double base and has 40% nitroglycerine(atleast it did)which is what etched the plastic hopper. NG is added primarily to boost energy levels but it also acts as a solvent for nitrocellulose. I would not reuse the powder once it attacks plastic as I would guess its burning rate is affected. The plastic containers used these days to store powder must not be affected by NG...something I always wondered about for real long term storage.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've got a powder measure on one of my Dillons that has turned a pretty shade of yellow. The measure works fine otherwise.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They all turn yellow in time...A hopper is not a storage bin for powder, it should be emptied when you are fineished reloading for the day or whatever...Bullseye is agressive but if used then emptied it should not cause problems..I have not experienced that.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote