New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indoor Chronograph usage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A buddy of mine and I are going to our range tonight to do some 100 yard load testing.

"At night?" you say? Yes.

We have a 100 yard tunnel range

My question is to anyone who has used a chrony indoors. Is it possible?

The shooting room has power and lights. My idea was to bring a flourescent tube light and extension cord and hang it over the chrony.

Do you think that will work?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Unless you have IR screens you won`t have much luck. Indoor lighting cycles with the current and tricks the screens into thinking a bullet is whizzing by.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Why yes! Yes it actually IS possible!

If you are using a Shooting Chrony, you need the Chrony indoor lights. As the former poster pointed out, florescent lights flicker and screw with the Chrony. Chrony make a set of incan lights that affix to the shooting screens and over-ride the florescent bulb flicker.

How do I know it works? I have a set of the Chrony light fixtures. Here's the link for Midway...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=432880

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surely Mr. Woods has a special Thingy to allow chronographing in the house. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Michael458. He seems to do a great deal of it----Terminal bullet performance---in the big bore forum.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a shop light with a quartz bulb and sit it on a 6 foot ladder pointing down at the chrony. I get the same velocities as when I am outside.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a special thingy, it called a Pact
Chronograph. I simply put the skyscreens on it, and it works fine under flourescent or incandescent---don't know what kind of chrono you have, but give it a try--your going shooting anyways!

BTW, if I was going to buy a new chronograph, I would buy a CED Millenium...saw a guy at the range with one--Sweet.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
A buddy of mine and I are going to our range tonight to do some 100 yard load testing.

"At night?" you say? Yes.

We have a 100 yard tunnel range

My question is to anyone who has used a chrony indoors. Is it possible?

The shooting room has power and lights. My idea was to bring a flourescent tube light and extension cord and hang it over the chrony.

Do you think that will work?

Before you go to the range switch your chrony on inside near a flourescent light. This sort of light plays merry hell with a chrony, the read out continually changes of its own accord. Just will not work. Well mine doesn't and yet it has given 30 odd years of faithful service on the range but switch it on in the workshop and it goes crazy.

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I used to shine this big cordless spotlight on my chrony and it solved any issues. It was nce because you could use it outdoors in the evening when I'd also get erroneous readings.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
CED has an indoor IR lighting set up.
It is as good as anything on the market.

CED M2 Chronograph

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote