Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire forming ?????
 Login/Join

posted
Wow, its been a while since I have loaded any rounds. My son and I are working up some brass for his new Savage 6.5-284, we started fireforming some rounds @ 41gns. and one by one worked up to 46grns., thats when I noticed black powdery like stuff on the case, like powder blow by, so on further inspection I noticed that the case didn't form (blow out) out like the other cases, it even was lose in the neck die. Could it be the 20 deg. weather, the round in ?? was fired last and was out in the cold for a 1/2 hour. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesWhat powder and bullet are you using? If for example you are using a 120 grain bullet and pushing it with 46gr. ACC3100 the result you are seeing is about the size of it. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
46 gr. H4350, 142 Matchking, Lupua brass with .014 neck thickness, set with .003 bullet grip. I'm aiso using Wilson neck and bullet seat dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need to adjust the powder some.
Usually blackened cases mean the charge is a little low.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
or you have work harden the brass and need to anneil the necks in order for them to form.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote