Notify
Tools

The Ultimate Big Game Bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Ok... The requirements are:

1. Accuracy ... not always a frequent thing (but we have all experienced some kind of bullet or another that tends to shoot more accurately in more guns than other bullets do)

2. Penetration ... not necessarily FMJ type, but enough to plow through tough skin/bones to get into the vitals.

3. Expansion ... again enough to cause quick kills and guarranteed open up at longer ranges.

4. High B.C. ... for long shots (within reason).

So what bullet (in your mind) satisfies the above criteria? I realize there will be some compromise but pick the closest thing to "perfect".

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop, I think your characterization above is fine for big game for the most part, but I doubt there is such a thing as an ultimate game bullet due to the varied needs and types of game. It is easy to identify a single bullet characteristic as ideal for a given application, but none fit all circumstance. I wouldn't even try to define an ultimate bullet for North American big game. Antelope to Moose covers a lot of different needs.

Could I make do with one style? Sure, probably a heavy RN design for big game, but that would take the fun out of shooting varmints.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the North Forks are about as close as we have come yet. Who knows what is around the next corner.

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra MatchKing

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm fond of Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. 180 and 200 grn out of a .300WM. One shot works on everything from a 1600 lb. Eland to a 16 pound Steenbok. I'm terribly sorry about that last animal but it was the only rifle to be had and the little bugger made SCI Gold.

The .458 Lott has twenty rounds of custom Superior loaded with 500 grn Speer Grand Slam Penetrators. The cost of the bullets alone tells me they d@mn sure better work when I need them.

If that doesn't there's always the .50 BMG loaded with Raufoss.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop,

In my mind, the ultimate big game bullet is by definition one that I have used extensively and have alot of experience with and confidence in. Otherwise it is mostly speculation and an educated guess.

For that reason, I have to weigh in with the Nosler Partition. Partitions have served me admirably on quite a few head of North American game (i.e. Whitetail, Mulies, Elk, Moose, Hogs) without a single failure to fly flat, penetrate deep, and expand reliably. The BC may not be as high as some other bullets, and the tip may not be made out of plastic, but for many, many, many years the Nosler Partition has done just about everything a hunter could ask for of a premium game bullet.

Make Mine A Partition!!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
With all due respect buddy.....
Take a reality pill!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Pop,

In my mind, the ultimate big game bullet is by definition one that I have used extensively and have alot of experience with and confidence in. Otherwise it is mostly speculation and an educated guess.

For that reason, I have to weigh in with the Nosler Partition. Partitions have served me admirably on quite a few head of North American game (i.e. Whitetail, Mulies, Elk, Moose, Hogs) without a single failure to fly flat, penetrate deep, and expand reliably. The BC may not be as high as some other bullets, and the tip may not be made out of plastic, but for many, many, many years the Nosler Partition has done just about everything a hunter could ask for of a premium game bullet.

Make Mine A Partition!!

You ain't lying!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ok... The requirements are:

1. Accuracy ... not always a frequent thing (but we have all experienced some kind of bullet or another that tends to shoot more accurately in more guns than other bullets do)

2. Penetration ... not necessarily FMJ type, but enough to plow through tough skin/bones to get into the vitals.

3. Expansion ... again enough to cause quick kills and guarranteed open up at longer ranges.

4. High B.C. ... for long shots (within reason).

So what bullet (in your mind) satisfies the above criteria? I realize there will be some compromise but pick the closest thing to "perfect".

Right now..... it would be the Barnes Triple Shock, followed by the Swift A-Frame.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P-A-R-T-I-T-I-O-N, Nosler Partition

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only a very inexperienced shooter would try to answer that question...so many varibles exist, the least of which is what are you hunting as different beast require different strokes or something along those lines, and no one bullet can fill the bill, least there would be no other bullets but that one on the market....

I could only suggest my favorite bullet for a certain group or species..

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

" least there would be no other bullets but that one on the market...." Ray, During the fifties and sixties the only real great performace hunting bullets made in the USA to my knowledge were Noselers and Barnes. I used both when I could afford them. Most guys , however, weren't knocking down their doors to get them. The vast majority of loaders were buying Sierra, Speer,Hornady, Norma etc. The reason was they could get the job done and they cost less. Even if there was THE BEST ULTIMATE BIG GAME BULLET if it were expensive it would have limited sales.I'm sure the sophisticates would use it just to be part of shootings higherarchy. It's been a slow Sat. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I listened to Ray Atkinson and bought a few Northforks. Accuracy was outstanding, I've only shot one deer with them, but it was a beautiful shot(if I do say so myself), great blood trail(all twenty feet of it) and didn't recover the bullet. I'm buying more Northforks, probably the most accurate bullet I've ever shot.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler Partition with a tungsten core behind the mantel. They don't make it, but they should.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I listened to Ray Atkinson and bought a few Northforks. Accuracy was outstanding, I've only shot one deer with them, but it was a beautiful shot(if I do say so myself), great blood trail(all twenty feet of it) and didn't recover the bullet. I'm buying more Northforks, probably the most accurate bullet I've ever shot.

I would buy nothing else, ever again if North Fork and Swift (A-frames) made a real pointed high BC bullet! I refuse to used semi spitzers . Remember I did say the ultimate bullet. No compromizing here!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very fond on TBBC as they are my favorite bullet right now but the cost, OUCH STicker shock to say the least but I love them so I have to suffer.

I am trying out the TXS and if they can shoot better than my TBBC we will have to see. But for now TBBC.

Come on guys you are taking the fun out of this, just list what you like for a certain species that is your favorite animal to hunt and list the perferred bullet. LETS HAVE SOME FUN.

Brian

Posts: 119 | Location: NJ | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick only one today, it would be the TSX.

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"Nosler Partition with a tungsten core behind the mantel. They don't make it, but they should."

I made some about 10 years ago. If you want I'll send you one.

Roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.....I thought semi-spitzers were the ultimate. A cross between the round heads and the pointy heads. hiho

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

See, the idle mind is a dangerous place...

Yup!!

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with Ray...

It depends on the game..

I think that if you had to pick only one bullet for all your hunting, I'd go with a partition. It opens nicely,penetrates well, and is usually just fine.

It might not penetrate as much as an X, or have as dramatic a kill as a BT, but it will always do the job if it is put in the right place.

But there are a million good bullets out there.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"
Quote:

I'd have to agree with Ray...

It depends on the game.."

The exeption I had to what Ray posted was only that if there was the greatest bullet in the world it would be the only one bought and used for hunting. History shows that when dealing with human beings this just ain't so. If a bullet is adequate for the intended job and costs less than the best and greatest guess what the majority of reloader hunters are going to buy. roger