New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 38spl die set
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased a hornady 38/357 die set from the local loading shop today. they were out of rcbs which im used to. I was given some "double sided" wad-cutters. Iv never loaded this type of bullet before.... does this take a special seater plug? I'v never used these dies. any help would be great!

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double sided or double ended? Anyway, I've never used a special seater for DEWCs, the seater plug in my die set is for round nose bullets, it works fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your Hornady die set should have come with two seating plugs. One with a concave end, and the other with a flat end. Use the flat-ended one.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the bullets are double sided/ended. load either direction. the hornady die set i purchased only came with one seater plug.

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Either seater will work with the WC nose shape. The difference in seater plugs is to "fit" the seater to the nose geometry of the bullet and help keep pressure spread evenly on the bullet as it seats. This keeps it from cocking and seats to a more even depth.
The wad cutter design doesn`t really have a "nose" and the lip of either seater plug will contact the bullet on the flat shoulder area evenly during seating. They normally will seat to a much more precise COL because of this then HP, SWC`s or HP bullets.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote