New
Find
Notify
Tools

Developing load with premium bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How do you go about creating a hunting load with minimal component expenditure? Developing the load is usually half the fun for me most of the time but when working with expensive bullets I wonder if my wallet is creating a flinch when I'm just punching paper at the range [Smile] . I understand starting with realistic accuracy and speed goals and using appropriate powders but how do you go about selecting powder charges and seating depths?

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd C
One way is to limit your initial rounds that need to be tested.
Pick the premium bullet that is best for the hunt you have at hand. Do a little research and chose a powder that is known to give good performance in the cartridge and with the bullet weight you have chosen. Start with a load that will give safe pressures. Load 3 rounds with each powder charge going up in increments that are compatable with the powder capacity of the ctg chosen [ie you would not want to go up, say one-tenth of a grain in a 300 mag]. Be sure the rounds will feed and function through the magazine. Shoot your 3 round groups starting with the lowest powder charge. Let the bbl cool completly between groups. Test the 2 best loads with 3, three shot groups. If the best load is good enough test it at the distances you expect to shoot game with that load/rifle. One group of 3 shots per powder charge may not seem like a valid test, but you are looking for trends. If groups tighten up as the powder charge is increased, then at a certain level the groups start to open up you retest the two best loads, maybe adding a third load with a powder charge in between the two. The better the loads shoot the more rounds I will load with each powder charge [remember YOU said minimal componet expense.]
If that powder does not shoot good enough, try a different powder, unless the groups are so bad you think in might be a bullet problem in your particular bbl.
I have NEVER had any problems getting Nosler Partitions to shoot good in ANY rifle.
Once you find a good load you can "tweek" it if you want, ie change primers, seating depth etc.
Just change only one thing at a time, and keep targets and good notes. Unless you have some "problems" you should be able to find a good load within 100 rounds. Some rifles have taken more, some way less.
After you find a good premium load you can try to find a load that shoots to the same point of impact with "cheap" bullets for practice. You will never be a good shot with your new rifle unless you get lots of practice. [Big Grin]

What rifle, cartridge, scope combo, are you going to be loading for? What bullet and powder do you want to use?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be prepared to invest in at least 100 bullets and two powder types to develop any kind of a good hunting load. I start out seating bullets at 0.010" off the lands and fine tune in
0.005" increments after finding optimal charge
weight. Steve's page 8 is a good place to find
the recomended powders as well as reloading manuals. I usually pick a powder and start loading
in the middle of the suggested range and working
up in 0.5 grain intervals of three shots each looking for best group. Then load up about 10-15
rounds and fine tune seating depth. I like to test
this load in hot and cold weather at various ranges and conditions before hunting with it.
I think a person would be lucky to reload less
than 50 rounds and be confident that a premium
hunting load had been found! Hope this helps.
Good shooting and good luck! BLR7 [Cool]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote