New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate Arms MRP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need data for Accurate Arms MRP powder.

It has been long discontinued, but in the can there was a little roll of paper with load data on it which I have misplaced.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I have heard of Norma MRP, but not AA-MRP.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It existed for all of about 6 months back in 1996.
I bought it on closeout, about 60 pounds of it, and expected it to sell, good powder, but it just sits around.

Looking for some loads for a 6.5x55 in a 29" barrel w/140 gr bullets and I am hoping this powder will work.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Have you talked to Accurate Arms?

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just started looking for data tonight, but I might give them a call in the morning. Hey, maybe I will email them.

Good idea Hog, sometimes it takes another person to come up with the answers staring you in the face.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
SCR,

Well, if you get any data from my suggestion, you can just send me a few pounds, along with the data that is. sofa jump

Hog Killer

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
SCR: Accurate was acquired by Western Powder Co. who also owns Ramshot powders. Accurates ballistician is now in Montana. His name is Johan Loubser and you can reach him @ 800 497-1007. Thought I knew about every Accurate powder, guess I missed MRP unless there are some numbers to go along with the letters MRP. Magnum Rifle Powder? Usually, the MRP stands for Military Rifle Powder and is followed by numbers and of Course MRP is usually associated with Norma, where it does mean Magnum Rifle Powder. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MRP was Magnum Rifle Powder.

It came out at a time when there were few slow powders left available on the market.

Unfortunately, H1000 and H450 were both released or re-released at about the same time. It's a shame it didn't last, especially with the magnum craze we are now having.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
...Looking for some loads for a 6.5x55 in a 29" barrel w/140 gr bullets and I am hoping this powder will work...
Hey Spencer, The 6.5x55 is not on that Reloading Data sheet that came in the jug.

Closest thing I see is the 7mm-08 with a 140gr bullet and they said 47.5gr was MAX. 24" barrel produced 2535fps for them in it.

And the 7x57 with a 140gr bullet and they said 51.0gr was MAX. 24" barrel produced 2561fps for them in it.

I hope you have better luck with the AA-MRP than I did. I found it for $6 a jug on close-out and got maybe 8-jugs. Got through about 3 of them without really being impressed "in my rifles" and gave the rest to a buddy with a 25-06 and 270Win. He didn't have any luck with it either and dumped what ever was left on his garden.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spencer;
I looked on the sheet strip I got with my MRP (3100) and the 6.5X55 is not on it!

I did find my Accurate Smokless Powder reloading pamphlet and it has the 6.5X55 in it!
Listed as follows:
6.5X55mm SWEDISH
Gun - - - Douglas
Barrel length - 24"
Primer - - CCI 200
Case - - - PMC

Maximum Loads
Bullet Powder Grains Velocity
100 - - 3100 - - 49.0 - - 2724
129 - - 3100 - - 49.0 - - 2721
140 - - 3100 - - 47.0 - - 2524

Note at the bottom of the page
REDUCE LISTED LOAD BY 10% FOR A START CHARGE.

Spencer; As always, use these loads at your own risk! But they are copied out of the load chart for 6.5X55 Swedish.

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got a reply from Accurate and they said just to start with 3100 minimum and work up slowly.

What I might do is start maybe a grain or a grain or 2 below the higest minimum I find and work up.
Pressure shouldn't be a problem anyways though because its still a slow powder.

I am just praying that this powder works out because I have so damn much of it.

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
MRP was Magnum Rifle Powder.

It came out at a time when there were few slow powders left available on the market.-Spencer

This is plumb strange, since H450, H570, H870, 5010, and H4831 were about all there was in the way of truly "slow" powders back in the late 1950's-early '60's. Then Norma began selling N205 in the U.S. A very fine powder, but with a lot of variation from lot to lot. Next DuPont started making IMR 7828 available as a canister powder (it was developed for the 7mm Rem. Mag., but for years was a factory powder only).

Norma 's N205 then was re-introduced as MRP. Allegedly after Norma had solved the lot-to-lot variation problem, they changed the name from N205 to MRP. MRP was/is also very similar to what Alliant now sells as RE 22.

Next came Norma MRP-2, which is a lot like RE 25! Then Hodgdon dropped H450 and H870, along about the time some of the other makers introduced several new "slow, magnum-type" powders.

I have never heard of Accurate Arms selling an "MRP", but if it is actually MR3100, it is somewhat faster than RE22 or Norma MRP. Nor have I ever seen mention of an Accurate "MRP" ("MR3100" yes; not an "MRP") in any loading data manual! However, I bought my first pound of Norma MRP in 1972, and it has been available here, OFF & ON, ever since. Today we are in an OFF period, since there seems to be no Norma distributor selling Norma powders in the U.S. right now! But you can still get Norma brass & bullets here.

I wish they'd bring back the whole line of Norma powders-some are downright useful!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
El Deguello
I'm looking at my AA Magnum Rifle Powder as I type!
It is named Magnum Rifle Powder!
Down at the bottom of the label, it says and I quote:

Smokless Powder
Ballistically comparable to Hodgdon 4831 and IMR 4831. For expanded uses refer to Accurate 3100. Loading data inside this container!
End Quote:

I only have 2 1/2 pounds of it left! Works real good in my 7mm Rem Mag and my 7mm-08!

Take my word for it, this powder does exist!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several older M96 Swedish Mausers in 6.5x55. If you don't find your powder you might consider VihtaVouri 550 or 560. I use them in mine as well as in my Remington Classic in 6.5x55, and find it quite accurate i this caliber. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
El Deguello, no coincidence, Most Reloader powders with the exception of R-7 are made by Norma for Alliant. MRP and R-22 are very similar, I won't say they're identical, but some believe they are, like MRP-2 and R-25. Kinda makes me wonder if this is also the case with R-19 and N-204. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is plumb strange, since H450, H570, H870, 5010, and H4831 were about all there was in the way of truly "slow" powders back in the late 1950's-early '60's. Then Norma began selling N205 in the U.S. A very fine powder, but with a lot of variation from lot to lot. Next DuPont started making IMR 7828 available as a canister powder (it was developed for the 7mm Rem. Mag., but for years was a factory powder only).

Accurate MRP does exist.
Well it did exist anyways.

I emailed Accurate again and they said 3100 and MRP are the same exact thing.

El-
I am not talking about the 60's or 70's. I am talking 1996. H450 and H1000 had not been re-released yet. I don't believe 7828 had come out yet. H870 and H5010 aren't applicable to any but the largest magnums and have hence been replaced by Retumbo and H50BMG. I also don't count Norma as being an available powder because their distribution system is terrible.
I don't think AA 8700 had come out yet either.

Therefore in 1996 you had H4831 and that was about it. I suppose 3100 was so close that it is the reason Accurate dropped MRP.

KLN357-
Are you sure Norma makes the Reloader line? When Alliant bought out Hercules Powder years ago, these were already established powders.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Contrary to what AA says, 3100 and MRP are not the same. MRP is a little slower, and I treat it like 7828.
I've had really good luck with it in the 7 mag and the 300 Win.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shopcart
I bought some of that powder back then worked pretty good.I still have some loads on the shelf I never shot.I will look around and see if I can find the data sheet.

Posts: 175 | Location: mineral wells texas | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I've still got a case of the stuff I never sold. If anyone needs some, I will make a deal for it!! I live in MA and could do a drive 1/2 way thing if needed.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck White:
El Deguello
I'm looking at my AA Magnum Rifle Powder as I type! It is named Magnum Rifle Powder!
Down at the bottom of the label, it says and I quote:
Smokless Powder
Ballistically comparable to Hodgdon 4831 and IMR 4831. For expanded uses refer to Accurate 3100. Loading data inside this container!
End Quote:

I only have 2 1/2 pounds of it left! Works real good in my 7mm Rem Mag and my 7mm-08!
Take my word for it, this powder does exist!

Well, I certainly take your word for it, all right! If it is in the same burning range as IMR 4831, I suppose it would be safe enough to use it with IMR 4831 starting loads, and carefully develop loads from there.

I did find that in some rifles, I could use similar charges of MR 3100 as H4831 (in two .30/'06's), but in one of them, I had to reduce the charge of MR3100 when using 200-grain Nosler Partition bullets. The other rifle would use identical charges of H4831 and MR3100 with identical velocities with the same bullet. So in my experience, MR3100 is SOMETIMES NOT identical to H4831, but in other rifles chambered for the same cartridge, it seems to be the same. I find this an interesting phenomenon!!

RE: IMR 7828 - I bought my frst and only pound (still have about 1/3 of it left) at McBride's in Austin TX in 1984, so it has been around as a canistered powder for quite a while! Long before DuPont sold IMR to the outfit Hodgdon bought out! Think I paid about $9.00 for it.

quote:
Are you sure Norma makes the Reloader line? When Alliant bought out Hercules Powder years ago, these were already established powders.

Norma DOES NOT make Alliant powders - BOFORS, the giant Scandinavian conglomerate, makes the powders sold by Norma and the powders sold by Alliant, both! I don't know if Alliant buys their powders through Norma, or directly from BOFORS.

Maybe some of our Nordic contributors can clear this uP??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jocamp64
posted Hide Post
Yep, Accurate Powder told me they changed the name of their Magnum Rifle Powder to 3100 because of the confusion of having a powder with the same name of the Norma powder. Nice guy, said he was the lead ballistics guy, can't remember his name.

So 3100 data will work for AA MRP.

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets." George S Patton.

Posts: 38 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 20 August 2005Reply With Quote