Find
Notify
Tools

TSX's and the 35 Whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of craven
posted
Has anyone loaded and used the 225gr Barnes TSX's with there 35 whelen, and if so how did it preform?
Craven

Posts: 139 | Location: Florida | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craven:
Has anyone loaded and used the 225gr Barnes TSX's with there 35 whelen, and if so how did it preform?
Craven

READ THIS!!! thumb

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
craven,

IMO, it is the best choice for the 35 Whelen when chasing most game. I have used the old "x" bullet on two plains game hunts and the new tsx on the last hunt, they are all you need. Use Reloader 15 for best velocity and you've got yourself one heck of a great combo.

It will work great on anything from whitetail to eland. And a bunch in between, based on my experience.

Good Hunting,
BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of craven
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, and BB thats what I am loading for I leave the end of June for a two week safari in RSA near the Limpopo river.
My first time there and I dont want any ammo problems.

Thanks again, Craven

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Craven,

What rifle is your 35 Whelen chambered in?

I have a Rem CDL and a 1903 Springfield. Of the 20+ head of game I have taken with this caliber I have only recovered two bullets, one from the skull of a warthog after it penetrated from the ham forward and the second one was kind of wierd. It was the bullet that penetrated the neck of a waterbuck as it crossed the trail. The waterbuck dropped right in the trail (made for easy loading) and the bullet was found two days later as we walked that same trail for bushbuck. It was laying in the trail maybe 40-50 yards past where the waterbuck had dropped.

If you haven't completed your load development yet, start at about 58.0 gr Reloader/225 gr TSX and work your way up from there.

I have hunted the Limpopo province 2 years now, where about are you going to be?

Both of these recovered bullets were perfect 4 petal mushroom.

Good Hunting,
BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of craven
posted Hide Post
My gun is a Remington classic with a 22" tube. The only load I have developed so far is a 250gr Swift A-Frame on top of 56.5gr of IMR 4064, yes it is a little warm but no pressure signs and great accuracy.
Thank You,
Craven thumb