Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 cases collapsing
 Login/Join

posted
I've been reloading bottleneck cases for over 25 years without a problem, but my first go at straightwall cases has got me stumped. Every time I try seating a projectile the cases just crush down and the bullet only goes in about 1mm. I'm using a Redding 3 die set as per the instructions. Projectiles are Remington 300gn sjhp. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Posts: 6 | Location: Darwin | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Are you belling the case mouth?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've screwed the expander plug almost all the way down. I'll try posting pics of cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling your sizer die may be closing that mouth too much or the bullets are oversized.

Never see that with straightwalled.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Measured the various bits. The bullets are .457, the body of the expander plug is .456 and the flare at the top of the expander is .461

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You aren`t crimping while seating the bullet are you?

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yep! thats exactly what I was doing! I usually lift the ram and then lower the bullet seater until it touches the bullet and then start adjusting from there. Now I realise this was crimping the cases! Have loaded a few now and its working fine, thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found another way to crumple straight wall cases. Same as you, new to straight rifle cases. New dies, weird third die included.
Used FLS die supplied, "where's my bloody expander plug"? I thinks.

Somewhere gets the idea the third die is a belling thingo, so used it to only just start to enter the neck.
So on seating a bullet, all sorts of wrinkles appear.
This was because the first part of the bell die WAS the neck expander, and the bell part was way up the top somewhere. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdl45:
I've been reloading bottleneck cases for over 25 years without a problem, but my first go at straightwall cases has got me stumped. Every time I try seating a projectile the cases just crush down and the bullet only goes in about 1mm. I'm using a Redding 3 die set as per the instructions. Projectiles are Remington 300gn sjhp. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Bell the case mouths enough that you can insert the bullet into the case past the mouth edge by hand before you slip it into the shellholder and seat the bullet all the way.

(Your bullet bases are catching on the case mouth rims and causing them to collapse as you try to seat them. You must get the bullet bases into the case mouth past the point where they can catch on the edge of the case mouth BEFORE you push them up into the seating die to finish the seating job.)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Judging from your pictures:

1) Put a larger bell on the case mouth.
2) Do not seat and crimp in the same operation. First seat the bullet, then crimp it.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seperate the crimping stage to the last thing you do.Don't combine it with seating the bullet.Use a lee fac crimp die!Best fac crimp die for the 45-70 IMO!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you put a slight champher on the inside of the case mouth you will not have to bell as much.
Doing the crimping seperately is good advise.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
Judging from your pictures:

1) Put a larger bell on the case mouth.
2) Do not seat and crimp in the same operation. First seat the bullet, then crimp it.

Crimp dies were designed to operate while seating the bullet. It is quite simple and logical.

Any half-wit can do it with a little bit of finess. One way is to put an empty case in the shell holder and screw in the die until it just starts to crimp. Not hard?

Then wind the die back up a fraction.
With another case ready to go primer,powder etc.
start seating a bullet. Keep winding the bullet seater down. When it's within a whisker,
wind the die body back down again.
Some more very minor adjustments for perfection
and it's done. Any half-wit can do it.

Of course, if your cases are all the same length it's a big help. sofa

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote