THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Partial Sizing of straight handgun brass???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
It struck me as I came home from the range today. I was firing 45 Colt round outta my 454 Casull Encore. Why can't you just size the first 1/4" of the case to ensure the round fits a little more snug in the barrel?? Kinda like neck sizing bottleneck rounds. I loaded some and I'm going to shoot them tomorrow. Anyone ever try this with any success???

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
As long as you size enough of the case to insure good case tension on the bullet I don`t know why it wouldn`t work. I`ve been lead to believe case tension has as much effect as crimp in a straight walled case. One other factor to consider is each chamber is different in a revolver cylinder. The cases may not chamber easily in each chamber. If the rounds chamber and the bullet doesn`t seem to move with recoil I`d say try it.
I don`t know if a handgun will show any telling gain in accuracy doing this with out a machine rest but, I`m not the one to accuracy test a handgun anyway.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
old, been doin this for years in a 38spcl. for target loads. 158gr simi wad cutter. I have two a model 10 and a model 14 K. S.W. resize aprox. 3/4 of the case.

Never tried this with the 44 mostly use it for hunting.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used to do this with great success with my 357 Max Contender, just size to the bottom of the bullet and accuracy measurably improved.
Guy

Posts: 73 | Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
It did seem to pick up accuracy (with my Blue Dot loads), but had a bullet lodge in the barrel with W296 and Win primers. Primer went off, but powder did not. Pretty scary, but after all, reloading info DID say to use CCI-350 LP Mag primers....The W-W primers said "for standard or magnum loads". Bullshit. Lesson learned.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4x4--Kind of funny you mentioned that stuck in the barrel. My 2nd wife loved to help reload my pistols with me. She would hand me the Brass already for the bullet to be seated and 1 time she for got the Powder. I use CCI 350 mag primer's for my 44 which we were loading. Was luck that is was just a Deer I shot at and not a Bear.[Puff] when I pulled the trigger. The bullet lodged between the cylinder and the barrel. It was not to easy to get the 240gr XTP out.

P.S. tried resizing partial down on 357 case's and they were hard to get out of the cylinder after firing.